lightweight cooking kit - what to choose?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Over the,last few years I've been putting together quite a selection of cooking kit all with the idea of finding the best lightweight kit for me. Haven't found THE setup that is right but have managed to give myself too much choice.
If it's not too self-indulgent is like to ask which wld make the best, lightweight kit for a week's wildcamping?
Stoves - Primus micron, mini trangia, Anti gravity gear colder (can stove with 3 cup pot and cosy, etc.), whitebox stove, vango remote gas stove, nordisk esbit stove, minibull remote feed meths burner, honey stove (2009 version with 2012 version square base and all it's setup variations such as with the trangia burner in 4 side mode).
Pots - vargo Ti-lite pot/mug, ALPKIT myti-cup 400 ml, AGG 3 cup pot abt 900 ml like the vargo and abt 100 g, the mini trangia clones pot.
Accessories - homemade foil windshield, BPL-UK light foil windshield, Primus heavy foil windshield, AGG pot grip, mini trangia pot grip (bent spring metal strip v light) and Primus canister feet.

From that I basically have gas, meths, wood burning, esbit and a system to burn the,last three field. My Primus is so reliable with it's pz ignition and so user friendly. Honey stove is fiddly to put together, heavy and I'm not that gd setting fire in it yet. Mini trangia clone is only gd for the potatoes and burner unit when used on own with pegs or in honey.
Is there a cheap stove that wld be investing in? Or accessory such as the BPL-UK trivet? I find gas reliable for me but like the whitebox except for it's instability. Esbit is an interesting experiment but as only fuel or stove for week up in hills without re-stocking or backup? Choices...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't think an ideal set exists for me.

I keep changing everything like you. Titanium definitely has a place in the perfect kit though :)

At the moment I'm using a Titan kettle, inside a Poundstretcher 4 oz hobo stove with ti tent pegs as pot supports and Hexi tabs and foraged wood as fuel. My other option is my Primus Omnilite with the spider and outer cup stripped off and mounted in the Hobo stove. I'm using baking foil for a windshield but the ultimate has to be titanium foil. The primus stuff weighs quite a bit.

My very favourite alcy stove is the cat stove out of alu cans. 6g, very powerful and the most fuel efficient of anything I've used. 30 x 6mm holes seem perfect.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The best ultralight stove I've got is the Etowah 11 see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpz_3SsymY.

I can bear out the comments on the video. 5.4 oz including fast burner, economy burner, windshield, 4oz bottle and bag.

US$25 plus reasonable international shipping - can't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember it was reasonable!

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have a Primus OmniLite set. I use the smaller pot on most trips but have carried and used the skillet as well. I like the weight and the coating. They clean up easily.

The whole set weighs less than a Zebra 14cm I think.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I use a Titan kettle as well and use one of my DIY alcohol stoves. A pot cozy is a must if your making anything other than instant noodles or soups.

Steve.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I use a Titan kettle and Ti spork. For a stove i still favor the trangia and a home made stand or the pocket stove, thinking of investing in a Ti version too.

forestwalker

We'll if the weight of the kit is the one goal then steaming the food in a pit is ideal: no kit at all! I'm currently going to experiment with a honey stove (there is a Ti version, not that I would ever pay what they want for it) and Mors pot this summer. I can use a meths burner when the fire-ban comes (almost every summer), and use any fuel I can get my hands on for the rest of the time. Pine cones, twigs, dry moose sh*t....

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I juggle between my primus pot and mess tins. Launditchs lids were a good investment worth getting. The micron may be small, does the job well enough.
Always carry hexy though.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I don't think an ideal set exists for me.

I keep changing everything like you. Titanium definitely has a place in the perfect kit though :)

At the moment I'm using a Titan kettle, inside a Poundstretcher 4 oz hobo stove with ti tent pegs as pot supports and Hexi tabs and foraged wood as fuel. My other option is my Primus Omnilite with the spider and outer cup stripped off and mounted in the Hobo stove. I'm using baking foil for a windshield but the ultimate has to be titanium foil. The primus stuff weighs quite a bit.

My very favourite alcy stove is the cat stove out of alu cans. 6g, very powerful and the most fuel efficient of anything I've used. 30 x 6mm holes seem perfect.

I like the cat stove too!!!
Sometimes I've had issues with cold meths in winter but I try to remember to put the bottle in my picket to keep warm and it's fine. I only brew up on it mind.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for the cat stove.

A wick of some description often helps lighting cold meths. It doesn't need anything elaborate; scrap of paper, matchstick etc.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've never got on with meths if it's below abt 5°C. I know all that abt warming the meths but my whitebox stove has too much cold alu and I suspect it cooks the meths before it vaporises. I use my Primus gas stove then. It doesn't have a pre-heat but still works well below that temp. Just lights first time. I shld get some wick material glued to the outside. If I drop and light a but of meths on it then I reckon it wld help. Just it wouldn't fit into my mug for that perfect brew kit. If I cld post a photo is show you it. Basically the myti cup from ALPKIT with the wbs stove in it. A small flip too meths bottle inside the stove with a kitchen foil kid. Makes a nice brew kit as I can get two drinks if I'm careful. Enough for daywalk anyway.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The wick comment is for the WBS or whitebox stove.

I'm wondering if the mkettle cld be worth getting. Leave pot behind and take esbit or meths when nothing dry to burn. I only book water and put it into a pouch with cosy. It's all brews and dehydrated food for me if I'm carrying it all.
Or the BPL-UK trivet to use over WBS or trangia burner with foil windshield. Indeed cld use my AGG can stove without trivet. That's 11g. Is there any stove or accessory that costs less than £40 that wld be worth adding or replacing anything I already have?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
On a slight side note Wilco's have got those green folding mugs on offer for a quid..... bit small but for a quick brew there fine. I got two more as I spread them around my kit...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
DIY meths stove on Esbit stand which fits inside Swedish army rectangular pot together with folding cup. Usually cheat by using Esbit tablets- expensive but then I'm worth it. The whole thing is light and compact and lives in a small dri-bag which keeps things clean and the smell away from other kit. I use it only to boil water for nooles, couscous and anything that will go in to a Pour and Store bag. (Memo to self- Must remember to take pot cosy on next trip).

My wife hates this set up and insists on a canned gas stove so she can get her brew quickly. Guess who carries it?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The wick comment is for the WBS or whitebox stove.

I'm wondering if the mkettle cld be worth getting. Leave pot behind and take esbit or meths when nothing dry to burn. I only book water and put it into a pouch with cosy. It's all brews and dehydrated food for me if I'm carrying it all.
Or the BPL-UK trivet to use over WBS or trangia burner with foil windshield. Indeed cld use my AGG can stove without trivet. That's 11g. Is there any stove or accessory that costs less than £40 that wld be worth adding or replacing anything I already have?

See comment on Etowah 11 above:)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have Ti pegs so just nick some from tarp if need a stand. Tried to get some light grid mesh to bend into a pot stand but cld only nick from work a larger gauge of wire mesh. Will be gd over a fire so it sits in my car under a may in case I need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE