Lightweight but not silly money tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't know the weather but perhaps this here?

Works with a natural stick as tent pole, can be attached under a washing line or under a branch.
If you don't need to carry the ploe it is relatively light.
I used the smaller Hexpeak V4a a lot usually as summer lightweight tent, I own only the outer tent and combine it with Defcon 5 poncho as ground sheed in hot conditions but usually with Snugpak SF bivvy bag and SF1 sleeping bag.
It is very nice but gets condensation problems if you close it.

I own and use a Hilleberg Nallo2 since more than 25 years without any problems. It looks like new. It costs nearly 1000 € but is worth the money in my opinion.
The Akto costs round about 600 € and is the 1 man version. In my opinion a good recommendation.
These tents are perfectly constructed and made in an outstanding quality.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I echo the previous comments about the MSR Elixir 2, it's an awesome tent and one that I upgraded to from the Vango Banshee 200.
The Banshee was a very good tent but it did have some drawbacks, most notably for me was the height. At 5'10" I could not sit up comfortably in it and the vestibule was pretty small too. By contrast the elixir 2 is a palace with plenty of space for sitting and living in during inclement weather. The vestibules (there's two of them!) are also large and plenty big enough to cook in (so long as you are well ventilated!!) and store kit. My Elixir 2 has also stood up to some pretty strong winds (40mph) without any dramas and it's really quick and simple to pitch.

I'm surprised no one on here has mentioned the Luxe Hexpeak V4A. That tent fits your bill perfectly in terms of space, cost and lightweight, If I was in the market for another tent, that's most likely what I'd be getting. Indeed I'm very tempted to get the larger F6 tent!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I thought he was tall and showed him the larger one.

There is a risk to touch with the feet the fabric of the V4a during the night if one is taller than 185cm.
That's one of the reasons why I use it usually with bivvy bag.

Last edited:

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Still debating a new tent not now seriously considering the DD SuperLight Tarp Tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
I've just got a Minipeak XL and am quite impressed with it,not the lightest but seems well made ,the outer can be used on its own with trekking poles,or via a hanging point at the top.
As yet not used in anger as only delivered today,but I've pitched it the garden & seam sealed it (came with it).
Loads of room if just using the fly (with or without a ground sheet)

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned it but the Vango Banshee 200 is a great lightweight tent. Weighs about 1kg, packs up small, all in one piercing and I’ve used it in torrential rain on Dartmoor with no water getting it. It’s also not super expensive.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Many years ago I bought a MSR Twin Peaks tarptent as I walk with poles most of the time & can use those to pitch it. I have a Shangri La bathtub floor to fit it or use a bivy bag. Its not a tent but much more than a tarp & is mountain rated, with a useful snow skirt. Can also be pitched as a hanging ridge from a line or a tree. The best bit is it folds tiny and weighs less than 500g. The floor makes it up to around 900g but still takes up no real space in a rucksack. The only issue is condensation really so I wouldn't want to be confined to it for any length of time. Cool thing though.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hey guys,

Looking for some recommendations:

1 large man plus gear without seeing claustrophobic
Light enough to easily carry
Easy to pitch (outer first preferable)
Not be crazy money
Must stand up to typical Welsh weather

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One Tigris Smokey Hut, and a cheap 1 man inner...from AliExpress, about £110 all in.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Cheapest one I've got I was given. As it was an elderly neighbour of whom was aware of my skint scenario learned I was looking out for a tent, to kindly donate a lightweight backpacking tent they had bought to use before ill health took them. Imagine my surprise when they gave me an unused Hilleberg Akto.

My more usual tent is a Saunders Spacepacker plus of which I bought back in the mid eighties of which has served well, to only be in need of new hoop pole and hence why I was looking for a tent as I had no idea where to get a new hoop pole.

Reactions: Billy-o

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
Cheapest one I've got I was given. As it was an elderly neighbour of whom was aware of my skint scenario learned I was looking out for a tent, to kindly donate a lightweight backpacking tent they had bought to use before ill health took them. Imagine my surprise when they gave me an unused Hilleberg Akto.

My more usual tent is a Saunders Spacepacker plus of which I bought back in the mid eighties of which has served well, to only be in need of new hoop pole and hence why I was looking for a tent as I had no idea where to get a new hoop pole.

Ive got a spare spacepacker plus pole to add to your luck. PM if you want it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE