Lightweight but not silly money tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hey guys,

Looking for some recommendations:

1 large man plus gear without seeing claustrophobic
Light enough to easily carry
Easy to pitch (outer first preferable)
Not be crazy money
Must stand up to typical Welsh weather

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hard to crazy money?

I have an MSR Elixir 2. Can be pitched outer first and is rated 3 season. COVID has put paid to use outside of the garden just yet, but it does have very good reviews and I can comment on its very very good build quality. Cost me £180.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wandering Fred

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hard to crazy money?

I have an MSR Elixir 2. Can be pitched outer first and is rated 3 season. COVID has put paid to use outside of the garden just yet, but it does have very good reviews and I can comment on its very very good build quality. Cost me £180.

That sounds ideal!

Enough space inside if you have to stay inside and due to bad weather?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That sounds ideal!

Enough space inside if you have to stay inside and due to bad weather?

I'm a giant at 5ft 5in short.....

But, I have slept myself, 2 kids (11 and 7) and a dog in it in comfort. It has 2 vestibules, one either side, both of which are exit points which for me was important. I easily fit a 110ltr rucksack in one vestibule and use the other to store boots, stove and other debris overnight. I can sit up in it very easily.

There's plenty of storage pockets at the head and foot end, with small gear 'hammocks' in the ceiling. Loads of ventilation as well. I have rigged up a square dyneema cord hanging line inside where I hang head torch, damp socks and pants on at night.

It also comes with a ruggedish footprint which protect the inner tub. The tent is designed to be erected as an 'lighter' set up using this footprint and the flysheet, without the inner if it isnt required.

I've garden camped in it quite a bit, getting used to its set up and getting the dog used to it as well it has been subjected to a heavy storm and held up perfectly.

For me, its the ideal tent. A 2 man sized solo tent if you will.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I'm a giant at 5ft 5in short.....

But, I have slept myself, 2 kids (11 and 7) and a dog in it in comfort. It has 2 vestibules, one either side, both of which are exit points which for me was important. I easily fit a 110ltr rucksack in one vestibule and use the other to store boots, stove and other debris overnight. I can sit up in it very easily.

There's plenty of storage pockets at the head and foot end, with small gear 'hammocks' in the ceiling. Loads of ventilation as well. I have rigged up a square dyneema cord hanging line inside where I hang head torch, damp socks and pants on at night.

It also comes with a ruggedish footprint which protect the inner tub. The tent is designed to be erected as an 'lighter' set up using this footprint and the flysheet, without the inner if it isnt required.

I've garden camped in it quite a bit, getting used to its set up and getting the dog used to it as well it has been subjected to a heavy storm and held up perfectly.

For me, its the ideal tent. A 2 man sized solo tent if you will.

Many thanks for the info, it is sounding more and more ideal by the minute!

Reactions: Van-Wild

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales

I did take a look at them and they are pretty close to what I am after but by the time you add the cost of the movie netting inner to the cost of the tent you are over £200.

From an evening of looking at reviews I am tempted to grab a Vango Banshee Pro 200, not the lightest by any means but for the money pretty bomb proof, easy to setup, easy to take down, we'll ventilated and enough space or me and kit without feeling like I am in a coffin (flashbacks of Wild Country Zephyros!!)

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I did take a look at them and they are pretty close to what I am after but by the time you add the cost of the movie netting inner to the cost of the tent you are over £200.

From an evening of looking at reviews I am tempted to grab a Vango Banshee Pro 200, not the lightest by any means but for the money pretty bomb proof, easy to setup, easy to take down, we'll ventilated and enough space or me and kit without feeling like I am in a coffin (flashbacks of Wild Country Zephyros!!)

Actually I am going to back track a little after reading and watching reviews of this one: https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_tarp_tent?from_cat=43

850 grams all in is amazing at that price!

Does anyone have any experience of this particular tent?

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
could this be viable? Always good to have a plain tarp, but this set up looks great.

dd tarp into tent

Looks like a tidy setup to be honest with you but would also need a new inner to keep insects out.

I just sold a DD Hamocks 3x3 multicam tarp as I bought it 9 months ago and never took it out of the bag..

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Looks like a tidy setup to be honest with you but would also need a new inner to keep insects out.

I just some a DD Hamocks 3x3 multicam tarp as I bought it 9 months ago and never took it out of the bag..

that is true, however a midge head net can be just as an effective barrier, especially if you choose the right sleeping bag for the conditions so you can seal it all up. As a disclaimer I once wild camped in the lakes with three friends, they had a tent each I had a dpm army basha. We setup the tents and tarp on a little island on sprinkling tarn, and one of the tents broke, which was apparently a £300 plus tent, alu pole had snapped. So he had to bunk in with my other mate in his £30 argos tent and they were fearful of that breaking. Where as the tarp, not a chance. Very reliable.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada

If that's the aim, growing duck feathers might help :)

I like the MSR Hubba or Hubba Hubba tent, but these have twanged up in price since I got mine. Anyway, you need to do something with a lot of 3-season tents, Hubba included, to make the tub a bit deeper in the inner tent to avoid splash back from Welsh rain. (Mind, looking a the latest iteration online, it seems they might have addressed that themselves already)

I know this isn't going to sound good, but if serious, you might think about the Tarptent Scarp 1. When I get myself together, I will get one, and sell off the others. From what you reportedly get, they sound cheap at the price. About 350usd. With the mesh and solid inners plus the extra poles, it is 500usd. Half the price of an equivalent Hilleberg. The Hubba Hubba is around the 500usd mark.

Also, the Tarptent guy doesn't have any Scarps in stock at the moment .. probably reflecting the fact that covid/stir-crazed Americans are heading outdoors in greater number than seemingly ever before. Anyway, it might give you a chance to save. It is thought of as a proper 4-season tent, that can legitimately pare down to a 3-season, or a 1-season. Ridiculously flexible item of kit, and interesting as much from an intellectual as a practical point of view.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Good call on the Banshee, it’s a good tent, door each side, easy to put up, roomy for one. And priced about right too.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I like the Banashee too and wish I still had mine.

Still, friend needed it more than I did....

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I've got a Coleman Viper, just over 1kg and cost £30. A great wee tent, used it in -20C, in gales, torrential rain etc, never had a problem - probably the best tent I have had, and I've used and had many tents from many manufacturers, and surprisingly good quality. I'm sure it was a mistake at £30 as it outperforms most that I've had.

Reactions: Broch

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If that's the aim, growing duck feathers might help :)

I like the MSR Hubba or Hubba Hubba tent, but these have twanged up in price since I got mine. Anyway, you need to do something with a lot of 3-season tents, Hubba included, to make the tub a bit deeper in the inner tent to avoid splash back from Welsh rain. (Mind, looking a the latest iteration online, it seems they might have addressed that themselves already)

I know this isn't going to sound good, but if serious, you might think about the Tarptent Scarp 1. When I get myself together, I will get one, and sell off the others. From what you reportedly get, they sound cheap at the price. About 350usd. With the mesh and solid inners plus the extra poles, it is 500usd. Half the price of an equivalent Hilleberg. The Hubba Hubba is around the 500usd mark.

Also, the Tarptent guy doesn't have any Scarps in stock at the moment .. probably reflecting the fact that covid/stir-crazed Americans are heading outdoors in greater number than seemingly ever before. Anyway, it might give you a chance to save. It is thought of as a proper 4-season tent, that can legitimately pare down to a 3-season, or a 1-season. Ridiculously flexible item of kit, and interesting as much from an intellectual as a practical point of view.
The little flappy tie ins for the extra exoskeleton poles on the Scarp tents look like they could get quite noisy and annoying in the wind. Otherwise it seems to be a solid tent.

Reactions: Billy-o

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Having, on many occasions, put a tent up high up in the mountains with a gale blowing I would always go for a tent with the minimum number of poles/hoops to thread through but that can still stay up with the wind. That generally means a good wind shedding tent shape like the Banshee or at least two poles crossing - any more poles and it's a real pain especially if the rain is horizontal as well :)

I still use my old Saunders Spacepacker, a great tent with plenty of cooking cover and exit options, but its single hoop means that in gale force winds the tent can be bent over frighteningly - it's never failed me though :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That is interesting, SaraR. I have wondered about it myself, and you are the first other person I have seen remark on the potential issue. Thinking about it now, and having a look again, it might be that they can attach to each other.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't know whether it would be in your budget, but I am a huge fan of the Tarptent Scarp 1. Brilliant, light in weight and equal to anything that the worst Welsh or Scottish weather demons can throw at it. A few years ago, a remarkably violent storm hit the Llanberis valley, where I happened to be camping; in the morning, my Scarp was the only tent standing. A couple of weeks ago, I happened to be on the Trotternish Ridge on Skye when the named storm hit; the tent was buffeted and battered but held firm and still afforded me a good night's sleep. It is dependably weather resistant!

The Scarp 1 is also a pretty comfortable space in which to live, too, though might be a bit claustrophobic for sheltering a community. Compared with a lot of things in the U.S., it was surprisingly reasonable, even after HMRC dawbed VAT and duty on it.

Apr 3, 2020
Hebrides
Hey guys,

Looking for some recommendations:

1 large man plus gear without seeing claustrophobic
Light enough to easily carry
Easy to pitch (outer first preferable)
Not be crazy money

Any suggestions?

I have a 30 year old spacepacker plus and a 15- year old go-lite hex 3. I still use both in NW Scotland and beyond but tend to favour the flexibility and feel of the tipi. Assuming you want a tent rather than tarp i'd be very tempted to go down the road of the silnylon tipi style with a half inner (pitched outer first) - for example the luxe hex peak....LINK (no connection to site/company)

There are a few options in this style so if it appeals i am sure there will be plenty on here with direct experience of the latest variants of the theme. i have the luxe inner and its well made, neat and now a 'friend'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE