Lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks to a very generous friend (thanks Jamie :You_Rock_ ) I am now the happy owner of an Everlite solar led spotlight.
http://www.newlite.com/

However, the blurb clearly says that the light will not attract moths and other insects :D :approve: :240: , but why??
I'm pleased as Punch that I'll manage to be moth free (not fond of fluttery things) :( while still having a good light, but it'd be nice to understand why. :confused:

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice idea that Toddy, but I would be surprised if it does not attract any insects.
When running my moth trap, I use a special mercury vapour bulb which really attracts moths (and other insect, had about 10 hornets the other night), but light in general will attract insects as you will find if you leave your bathroom light on with the window open. But maybe a type of light has been invented that does not attract, time will tell, won't it..........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I couldn't see it myself, but the blurb says it in black and white :confused:
I have no problem with insects, spiders, earwigs, woodlice, bees, wasps, whatever, I just don't like fluttery ones much, so this seemed too good to be true.
Ah well, good excuse for a try out :D

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. We have trees all along the side fence and the moths that come out are *Huge* ones, ghost moths, hawkmoths.....enormous things with horns.....bigger than the butterflies sometimes :rolleyes:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I found this on How Stuff Works:

Moths are more sensitive to some wavelengths of light -- ultraviolet, for example -- than they are to others. A white light will attract more moths than a yellow light. Yellow is a wavelength moths don't respond to.

Not entirely sure how accurate this is, and whether this is relevant to your light (is the light yellow or white?). Interesting, though - I'll see if there's anything else I can find.

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
British Red said:
Mary...he's not really called Jamie is he...surely ???

Uhuh :D Actually, he is. He and Jack, both Mods, run Woodlandorganics. I hadn't thought about the torch connection until now though :rolleyes: This was a sample they aren't going to be supplying, too expensive I think; well, just now anyway :( Knowing them, they'll figure it out :cool: They supply companies, so I think this thread's okay since it's not advertising per se.
If not, it'll get Modded ;)

The light is white, HWMBLT says that the led's are white ones. It's certainly bright enough :D Like switching on a 40W bulb in the room.

Cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Moth’s eyes are made differently to the human rod and cone system. Moths compound eyes are made many densely packed microscopic pillars, that according to the JPL lab at Pasadena. “See a limited wavelength of light from the broad spectrum of emitted light from conventional sources” the newer LED’s seem not to emit as much light at that frequency. Moths don’t see the lights as much as they would see conventional lamps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE