Lighting a BBQ naturally

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
BBQ season is here again.

Of course it would be much better to get out and light a real fire and have a proper slow barbecue, can't always do this though and sometimes it has to be my cheap stand up steel grill type with charcoal briskets in the paved backyard.

So I'm just wondering if there is any practical way of lighting it without using the solid paraffin firelighters or meths and so on but something natural instead?

I was thinking pine pitch might work, but then again that contains turps so is technically cheating.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
We never use any artificial fire starters. My wife used to make the char coal her self back in Thailand, but that's another story. Anyway they do a lot of barbecuing in that country. And she has always started the barbecue simply by starting a small fire of sticks on top of the char coal. We keep a plastic shopping bag full of dry kindling for the purpose. Most of that is leftovers from my whitling projects.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I go the other way Bumbler - start a small fire with straw and twigs (you can flint and steel the straw bundle if you like), then build up to inch thick sticks, build a charcoal pyramid of lumpwood around the small fire, let the sticks burn down and the charcoal is alight.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have two methods I routinely use:

1. Instead of parafin based starter fluids use ordinary cooking oil such as veg oil or meat grease.

2. a comercially available starter chimney such as these www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=chimney+charcoal+starter you stuff crumpled newspaper in the bottom then charcoal on top and light the paper. It also helps if you use a little cooking oil on the paper.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use scrunched up newspaper and then build a fire up on the top, once it's established I build up the lumpwood charcoal on top.

I used to use twigs and logs from almond trees when we flitted to Portugal for a while, it's amazing what difference it makes to the taste of the food, especially fish.

The instant lighting blocks and gels contain nasties I don't want in my food

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Why not just light a bit of charcloth with a flint and steel, transfer the ember to a piece of charcoal, blow it till its got a good ember, then simply place the lump in the BBQ, and add more charcoal?

It works quite well, if rather slowly but short of lighting it with a fire drill set up or maybe iron pyrites you wont get much more natural.

If I'm cremating meat etc at home, I often go totally off topic and use a hot air gun! Extremely effective, as well as spectacular.:eek:

Cheers and good luck

Steve

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i use one of these :)
11up4F55qwL.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This birch bark set up over a bed of sticks will be roaring in 30 seconds and lights it very well. Smells great too.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Blow torch to start it off and then a hot air gun to get it all nicely established..........but the charcoal is homemade, how natural do you want?! :eek:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I use an old catering bean can with top and bottom cut off fill with charcoal and set light to a fire lighter in the bottom, once going pull off tin with tongs and pile brickets on top as they burn longer

rancid badger

Oh well, er............well of course, I'd be happy to give it a go.....er................but it's really very windy here at the moment:surrender:

Mind you, you've got me thinking now:bluThinki

It really is blowing a hooligan here by the way:eek:

cheers

Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Go on then. Weave some back garden cloth. Then char it :cool:

Although I have yet to do that it is quite possible to achieve - grow your own flax, ret it, weave a bit of linen and char it ... no biggy :)
However refining oil and making petroleum jelly, growing cotton in Britain for the balls ... a bit more difficult.... probably easier to make char cloth...

If you make your charcloth out of recycled clothing you are still probably being greener than using Vas ... if not more natural :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Although I have yet to do that it is quite possible to achieve - grow your own flax, ret it, weave a bit of linen and char it ... no biggy :)
However refining oil and making petroleum jelly, growing cotton in Britain for the balls ... a bit more difficult.... probably easier to make char cloth...

If you make your charcloth out of recycled clothing you are still probably being greener than using Vas ... if not more natural :)

So to make the char cloth you have to make a fire... Which you could use to start your bbq.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE