Light weight tent for Tall person

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robster

Sep 15, 2014
St Albans United Kingdom
Hey BCUK,

i need some help /advice.

i am looking to buy a tent for backpacking for one person so i would like it ideally as light weight as possible (prob 2 man) -
however i am 6.5ft tall and have not found one that works -

1- anyone else solved the Tent for tall person issue.?
2- any advice would be excellent.

many thanks for the help.
have a great bank holiday

Robster.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A friend of mine recently bought one of these...

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF107.html

and I'm seriously impressed. If you get the chance to look one over, have a good look. Loads of space, easy pitch, well made, light & relatively cheap.
It's a fly only, so a g/s or bivy bag helps.
I'm 6'6" and would have one now if I had £99 to spare. As it is I'm skint so use the fly of a bell-ended 2-man ridge when I want a smallish tent. It really needs an A-frame to be able to fully utilise the extra length afforded by the bell, but I have one which will suit.
A 3x3, or better still, 4.5x3 tarp will set up as a tent. Using tarp clips or extra tie-outs let you set a 4.5x3 as a very fair 7' dia. tipi sort of thing.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
do you wish to only lie ;sit up crouch on your haunches kneel or even stand in it though: do you want an inner in it or just the fly; so you want a mesh inner for bugs or a full inner,

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well if your 6'6" you will need 1m internal height minimum anyway; plus any ridge angles plus anyinner height; as a rough guess your looking for a tent from 110cm if a dome or multi pole to 120 if a ridge ?

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
You could try a big tarp and get a custom inner from Oookworks. MLD in the states do extra long versions of their shelters. I'm 2 metres tall and have a luxe sil minipeak which has just enough space when lying down but I tend to sleep on my side with bent knees.
Good luck finding something as there will always be a compromise somewhere.

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
Have a look at the other backpackinglight website kit, they have some lightweight tipi style tents which might suit. If your budget extends to it a lightweight tentipi would be excellent.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
tipi style tents will be very tight against your face and feet given they are zero-height at the edge of the tent. I would go for a MSR Hubba or Hubba Hubba as the walls are quite steep, its still light weight and its free standing.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm 1,90 tall and sometimes carry a Nordisk Telemark 2, it's big enough for me and probably for you too. It has a tiny porch and an inner space to fit two people when you're friendly or sleeps one comfortably with pack and everything. The height allows me to sit cross-legged, but that's about it. Packs up to the size of a 3x3 tarp and weighs about a kilo. So far it hasn't leaked on me but the fabric is very thin!

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I am 6'6" and if I want to go superlight (which is rare these days!!) I have an MSR Twin Peaks.Plenty long enough and lots of room and weighs nowt but no floor so needs a bivi bag or a TYvek sheet to keep you snug.
My favourite tent of the moment is a 7m canvas bell tent.Down side is the weight but could easily live in it!
Cheers, Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE