Light Weight Hiking

RGRBOX

Forager
Hello Guys, and Gals,

I've gotten back into doing things light, and was wondering if there are some extreme light weight hikers, campers, outdoorsman on this forum... I've read a few threads with some people on them. But, I'm also looking for places to get the lightest kit out there, and any of your stories, suggestions and recommendations.. would also like to see what the average light weight hikers is carrying.. so some of your lists would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike B.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
My gear weight ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 kg depending on how cold it will be. Right now I'm building a new hammock with a down filled pocket sewn to the bottom which should take my base weight down another half a kilo. My gear includes

Homemade pack (200 grams)
Homemade hammock
Top Quilt
Underquilt
Silnylon tarp
Homemade fleece jumper
thermals and socks/beanie
Poncho
Pot, windscreen, pepsican stove
Ist aid/ emergency kit/ torch/ knife etc.
Map and compass
I'v possibly forgotton a few small items

I'd love to get my Autumn gear down to 2.5 kg, but I'm still a fair way off, and I'm only going to experiment safely, and in small increments. With the new hammock, I'm going to be experimenting with a 10x5 tarp, as opposed to my 10x8.
These weights have only been used for two and three day trips so far.

RGRBOX

Forager
wentworth said:
My gear weight ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 kg depending on how cold it will be. Right now I'm building a new hammock with a down filled pocket sewn to the bottom which should take my base weight down another half a kilo. My gear includes

Homemade pack (200 grams)
Homemade hammock
Top Quilt
Underquilt
Silnylon tarp
Homemade fleece jumper
thermals and socks/beanie
Poncho
Pot, windscreen, pepsican stove
Ist aid/ emergency kit/ torch/ knife etc.
Map and compass
I'v possibly forgotton a few small items

I'd love to get my Autumn gear down to 2.5 kg, but I'm still a fair way off, and I'm only going to experiment safely, and in small increments. With the new hammock, I'm going to be experimenting with a 10x5 tarp, as opposed to my 10x8.
These weights have only been used for two and three day trips so far.

Thanks for your reply.. would you happen to have any pics of your kit. I'm interested in your hammok, stove, and back pack design...

Mike B.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
There's piccies of one of my hammocks and one of my packs in my gallery. My stove is from www.antigravitygear.com , as is my pot and windscreen. Tinman, who runs the business is very pleasent to deal with, and threw in a tiny light, insulated cup thing and a bandana for free.
I'm finding that everytime I come back from a trip, there are things I change about my gear, generally to make it lighter/ less redundant.
I know I could go a lot lighter by just sleeping under the tarp, but I consider that the hammocks comfort is worth carrying a bit extra.

What are you using at the moment? Do you want to get your gear down to a particular weight?

RGRBOX

Forager
wentworth said:
There's piccies of one of my hammocks and one of my packs in my gallery. My stove is from www.antigravitygear.com , as is my pot and windscreen. Tinman, who runs the business is very pleasent to deal with, and threw in a tiny light, insulated cup thing and a bandana for free.
I'm finding that everytime I come back from a trip, there are things I change about my gear, generally to make it lighter/ less redundant.
I know I could go a lot lighter by just sleeping under the tarp, but I consider that the hammocks comfort is worth carrying a bit extra.

What are you using at the moment? Do you want to get your gear down to a particular weight?

First thanks for your reply, and the web info. I didn't find your gallery, but will give it a try later.

When it comes to weight, I have some light weight stuff, like I use only a Pnco, and light weight ground mat, and am going to try a hammok for the first time next weekend... I have a light weight stove, but usually (When it's possible) just build a fire. I 'm was in the Army for 10 years so not carrying much in comfort items I'm used to.. but now that I can go without the weapon, ammo etc.. I want to return to light weight camping and hiking... I've been looking at sites like GoLite.com to see about a light weight pack, and I already have light weight clothing.. but like I said.. just trying to get other ideas on what I can do to liten my load... anyway, thanks so far, and I'll speak to you again later.. I've got to go get my kids from school..

Thanks again,

Mike B.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
i am getting into using food and fuel caches this takes the weight down quite a bit, i used to carry all the food water fuel for a few days plus some emergency provisions, now i just carry 1 24 hour rat pack, the difference is staggering,

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I am really trying to cut my weight down - This tread has allready given me some insentive. My biggest problem is "spare stuff" & "what if"
We are about to go look at a wood land that for sale about 5 miles from are house will propaly take my normal pack in car this has every thing in it for a comfy night stop??? :rolleyes:

RGRBOX

Forager
Yeh, I know what you mean about the what if's.. but I find that with more knowledge about natural plants woods, etc.. I'm able to leave some stuff behind.

I usually carry extra stuff, like a book to read, and binoculars.. this kind of stuff. the problem is this weight adds up.. If I'm with someone else, then I usually just sit around the fire and we talk.. if I'm with my wife.. well there are other things.. I also like to pic up small projects while out, like making wooden spoons etc... just to pass some of the time... Anyway, I've read about people going all out, while doing the Appalation Trail, and wearing running shoes without socks, using, only lite weight jogging suits, and just a poncho liner, and stuff like this.. I prefer to either make kit, or find some good kit, that will last the trip, and not fall apart.. I've invested into some feather weight hiking pants from TNF, and DOAD Jkt from the TNF too... stuff like this..

Anyway, when it comes to food, I don't mind eating dehigrated stuff, infact I prefer it most of the time.. I carry some water, but also a water filter... stuff like this..

Anyway, thanks so far for your input, and anyone else who wants to add to the thread would be much appreciated..

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
These are the only dedicated ultra-light websites in Britain (which shows how far we still have to come).

www.backpackinglight.co.uk
www.hike-lite.co.uk

Being truly ultra-light is beyond most people (could YOU contemplate sleeping on top of frozen ground with no sleeping mat?) but if you take out the best, or most practical ideas, and be ruthless with what you take (forget that bloddy survival bag you always take with you but have never used... and the flare... and the heliograph... and the signalling strobe...) then you get tiny weights but with realistic levels of comfort.

One tip: Never assume that your tarp is lighter than a tent. Once you add up all the guys, the ridge, and the stakes, you'll be surprised. My aussie hootchie and all the paraphanalia adds up to 1.53kg... 300gms heavier than my Akto. Like I said, be ruthless...

RGRBOX

Forager
Thanks for the info... I have an Akto tent myself. But I find it still quite bulky compaired to a poncho with gude lines.. and 4 light weight tent stakes..

As for a ground mate.. after a career in the military, I can still go without a lot of comfort items.. I will just gather grasses, or pine branches to make my bed... not too bad.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
karrimor 45 sabre

snugpak softie 6
mod goretex bivvy
karrimat

katadyn hiker filter
58 cup & btl.
crusader cup
sml. coleman stove & gas
1.5l plastic btl.
lexan spoon
6 x mars bars
800g peanut butter & jam sarnies
3 x sachets cocoa
0.5 - 2l. h2o

nav. gear
sml. fak
petzl & batt.
sundries eg money, tissue, lighters, sak etc.

goretex jacket
" trousers
gaiters
hat & fleece

All about 12 kg.
I carried this stuff for the best part of 60km in one day a fortnight ago and had no complaints.
I find that the closer to 10kg your kit is the less you notice it.
Below 10kg you do not really notice it at all, but if you hit 15kg plus you will start to pay serious attention to your discomfort.
Light weight hiking is all good and well but if you live in an inclement climate or wish to travel in winter there are just some things you cannot do without.
Happy trails....Torc.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
If you can't make food / water caches, then try experimenting with different foods. For example noodles (the dried kind) cost almost nothing (if you go for the unbranded kind), weigh nothing and require very little fuel to cook (ignore the instructions on the pack, just boil the necessary water and dump them in the pot - then take off the heat and leave for 5-10 minutes. No more heat is required.

Some flavourings, peas, spicy sausage, etc are nice and can transform a simple meal into something tasty.

Another tip is to remove foods from their packaging and use your own (eg never take tins :eek: just empty tinned food into plastic bags and seal with a knot). Some foods can even be cooked this way (dump the bag in hot water and heat through) and that saves on washing up, which in turn means less weight required for cleaning stuff.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
capacious said:
These are the only dedicated ultra-light websites in Britain (which shows how far we still have to come).

www.backpackinglight.co.uk
www.hike-lite.co.uk

Being truly ultra-light is beyond most people (could YOU contemplate sleeping on top of frozen ground with no sleeping mat?) but if you take out the best, or most practical ideas, and be ruthless with what you take (forget that bloddy survival bag you always take with you but have never used... and the flare... and the heliograph... and the signalling strobe...) then you get tiny weights but with realistic levels of comfort.

One tip: Never assume that your tarp is lighter than a tent. Once you add up all the guys, the ridge, and the stakes, you'll be surprised. My aussie hootchie and all the paraphanalia adds up to 1.53kg... 300gms heavier than my Akto. Like I said, be ruthless...

Are there any UK based Forums for ultra light camping?.

Ultralight gear may not be in keeping with traditional ideas of Bushcraft. I feel with a very lightweight kit you can practice all the trad skills you want and not have to worry too much if it doesn't work out.
When I see a 4 pound base weight (USA site) for your basic needs, I find it is light compared to my body warmer, with pockets stuffed with lots of "just in case". Or with my "just in case" knife, sharpening kit, ax, other knife, other knife, fire kit etc etc and thats without the s/bag, tarp, mat, etc.
I can't afford to buy so I tend to make my own, but I do have difficulties finding some of the more cutting edgeand exotic materials, at a price I can afford.

I have always found it is better to use catalogue weights as a guide only and always weigh the item that you want to buy or compare in the shop. There is variation within all manufacturing and some manufacturers are optimistic about weights of their lightweight products.

RGRBOX

Forager
I just got back after a weekend with the family in the Alps (Zermatt).. had a great time, but in the higher alt. suffered from the lack of oxy. anyway, my wife and I are really into going as light as possible, because not only are we carrying our own kit, but also a 6 and an 8 years old. I've gotten them packs, and they use them, but they can't carry everything they need yet. They usually carry a small nalgene bollte of water, and a hat, sun glasses, and warm jkt, and a rain jkt. we carry the food, and extras, that may be needed when you have children. And after this weekend, i found that carrying my old Army Assault pack is a no go for any of my future outings. It's great when you carry it with the hooah stuff, but not in civilian world.. there are just too many great packs out there, that support the weight better, and are comfortable to use. and my army pack doesn't have the right kind of pockets I need to carry in the outdoors, on light days out.. where my civilian pack doesn't have what it takes to do the real work I need with my military pack. I also wear lighter kit, because I don't need a pair of pants that needs to do the job of a soldier... (I'm not moving to contact, and attacking a trench in them..) same with my hat, gloves, and jkts.. I've gotten myself some of The North Face, Flight Series kit.. which works great..) now when I'm out doing my bushcraft stuff, I find that a good mix of the two works better for me.. that being, I usually go with the more sage colors, and a wool shirt over my high speed light weight nylon shirt that will melt next to a fire....

I read where there's a 100 mile trek from Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland.. takes about a week to do.. so I'm going to look into doing this.. on the other hand, it's all Refuge living, and light weight equipment all the way..

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I too have caught the lightweight buzz and find it works well with Bushcraft. Carrying less by knowning more works well for both. It's ment some big changes in how I use my kit and what really is needed. In an hour of going through my kit I shaved almost 10Kg's(before food & water) still a way too go but by September I hope to be down to 10kg's with food and water. (off course it will rise again for winter)

I have also gotten some of the TNF flight series i picked up one of the rainjackets in New York a few weeks ago and I really like it and a good alternative to my westwinds when I am covering some miles. I got it for 80euro there and have seen it here at the weekend for (hold your breaths) 175euro I had a big smile on my face for the rest of the day. :D

Enjoy a light summer all.

James

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Trouble with going lightweight is that all the equipment costs so much money, its not light on your pocket..................Jon
bushcraftersfire4ne.gif

RGRBOX

Forager
Jon Pickett said:
Trouble with going lightweight is that all the equipment costs so much money, its not light on your pocket..................Jon
bushcraftersfire4ne.gif

But it makes your wallet lighter.... :lmao:

I paid $200.-- for my TNF DOAD Flight Series jacket... I couln't find it on the European TNF web site.. so I had to order it from the states.. but it is very nice to have.. wiehgt very little.. I also have some super light weight baggy TNF hiking pants, and a half zip light weight next to your sjin long sleeve shirt.. wiks away sweat very well, and kept me comfortable today at 1600 meters sometimes with only it on.. and other times with my DOAD Jkt over it.. I use LOWA Mtn GTX Boots.. they were great today and yeasterday.. I always had a solid footing, and because I have bad ankles.. they kept me from hurting myself several times this past weekend... socks were a little too warm.. but I'm still working on that.. no blisters though.. although I did treat one on my wife's upper foot from the seam inside her boots.. anyway.. just waiting for our GoLite rucks to arrive this week.. and next week, we'll sped the weekend behind our house.. in the Jura mountain range...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE