lifespan of DC3 sharpening stone

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, i use a DC3 sharpening stone, how do you know when the diamond side has reached the end of its life and is no longer doing its job, mine has developed bits in its centre which seem to be shiny and i was wondering if the diamond covering had worn out, also though instructions say stone to be used dry i have often used it adding a little spittle or water, does this ruin stone or affect the sharpening (it just seems to work better with a little dampening unless i'm using it wrong or its in my imagination) thanks.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It depends on whether you have the old model or the new model stone. The old ones are excellent and last for years and years.

I have an old model DC4 that has smooth shiny patches. If anything it is sharpening better than ever now that it has worn smooth.

If it is a new model you have , I have no idea.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Mine is now 8 years old and still going strong, gets used at least a couple of times a week, every week, on anything from kitchen knives to axes and even chainsaw chain depth gauges. Still looks much as it did when new. Gets a bit of a wash every couple of months.

Dave

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It depends on whether you have the old model or the new model stone. The old ones are excellent and last for years and years.

I have an old model DC4 that has smooth shiny patches. If anything it is sharpening better than ever now that it has worn smooth.

If it is a new model you have , I have no idea.

Hi Wook, how long has the 'new' model been out, mine is about 10 years old (guess) so i would hazard a guess that means an old model (its a silver coloured one and does not have that small hole in the corner of diamond side), it has developed shiny smooth bits and i was wondering if it was worn out, its the DC3, most people seem to use the DC4 it seems. thanks for your input.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I have had mine for seven years now, used wet and dry it still works but not as quick as when new, no loss of coating though.

just for a bit of balance, mine didn't last that long, it was more or less worn out after about 5 years. it's all relative though i'm afraid, there are so many variables that would effect the lifespan of any sharpening tool that it's really difficult to make any kind of prediction. mine lost probably years of it's life in one night of boredom when i became determined to reprofile a friend's knife and didn't have any other tools to hand, but that was more or less abusing the DC3, used for the purpose it was intended ie keeping a knife sharp rather than making a knife sharp then it should last for a long time. as for the ceramic side, i can't imagine that ever wearing out, mines maybe ten years old and it shows no real signs of wear

cheers

stuart

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Hi Wook, how long has the 'new' model been out, mine is about 10 years old (guess) so i would hazard a guess that means an old model (its a silver coloured one and does not have that small hole in the corner of diamond side), it has developed shiny smooth bits and i was wondering if it was worn out, its the DC3, most people seem to use the DC4 it seems. thanks for your input.

The new one has only been out 2 or 3 years, so you should be good.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Mine is now 8 years old and still going strong, gets used at least a couple of times a week, every week, on anything from kitchen knives to axes and even chainsaw chain depth gauges. Still looks much as it did when new. Gets a bit of a wash every couple of months.

Dave

Hi MartiniDave, mine has been used to the same degree but only on knifes, thanks.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I've had the new one for almost two years and its developed shiny spots but depending on your point of view this can be better or worse. I think its better

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just for a bit of balance, mine didn't last that long, it was more or less worn out after about 5 years. it's all relative though i'm afraid, there are so many variables that would effect the lifespan of any sharpening tool that it's really difficult to make any kind of prediction. mine lost probably years of it's life in one night of boredom when i became determined to reprofile a friend's knife and didn't have any other tools to hand, but that was more or less abusing the DC3, used for the purpose it was intended ie keeping a knife sharp rather than making a knife sharp then it should last for a long time. as for the ceramic side, i can't imagine that ever wearing out, mines maybe ten years old and it shows no real signs of wear

cheers

stuart

Hi Shaggystu, when i first bought it i didn't know how to sharpen properly and thrashed away with it longer than was really neccessary so i expect i have probably worn it out, thanks.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I've had the new one for almost two years and its developed shiny spots but depending on your point of view this can be better or worse. I think its better

Hi Sappy, could you explain why please, what would the reason be for being better or worse, thanks.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
As the stone is polished smooth, it is equivalent to it becoming higher and higher grit. This allows it to achieve a finer and finer edge.

What you want in a finishing stone (like the ceramic side of a DC3) is a hard, but otherwise very smooth surface that essentially polishes the blade to an edge.

Over time it will take less and less material off the blade with each stroke, meaning it takes longer to sharpen things. But it will also do a progressively better and better job.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
As the stone is polished smooth, it is equivalent to it becoming higher and higher grit. This allows it to achieve a finer and finer edge.

What you want in a finishing stone (like the ceramic side of a DC3) is a hard, but otherwise very smooth surface that essentially polishes the blade to an edge.

Over time it will take less and less material off the blade with each stroke, meaning it takes longer to sharpen things. But it will also do a progressively better and better job.

Hi, oh i see, thanks Wook i understand that now.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have 'shiny' patches on my old version stone. Those patches have no diamond at all. I have used this stone a lot and probably abused it a bit. It still makes an edge but just takes longer.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE