LiDL Digital compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Don't know much about this but LiDL are selling a digital compass for under £14.00.
My mate got one last night and i looked at it quickly today.
It looks pretty good for the money,shower proof with a clock and thermometer.
I don't know what store's have them or whats left ,this one came from LiDL in Belfast (Castlereagh Road).

rb

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
lidl has this very nice thing of not stocking the things that looks intersting to me ! EVerytime i see something on sale i go there to find "mine" thing missing.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
The compass had sold out in the Castlereagh Road shop and in the Newtownards Road shop :cry:
But the Shore Road shop has :***:ing loads of them :eek:):

rb

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi,

I hope that Lidl compass is not the one I bought 9 months ago at the Lidl shop in the Netherlands, I returned it the next day, I couldn't get it to calibrate even standing in the middle of an field with my watch removed from my wrist. I then needed to remove the batteries as it wouldn't go "öut" of the calibration session and then you had to set the time and date again as it was lost.

I saw that Lidl Netherlands has that digital compass also it costs Euro 19.99 which is about 13.50 Britisch Pounds.

Here's a picture:

04_2881_b.jpg

The other drawback but that's my own opinion, it's huge compared to a normal compas like a Recta box model and depends on batteries.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Yep, that's the one on sale in the UK for GBP14.95

A friend of mine bought one last week and I've had a quick play:
- The display is big and clear with a v.good backlight.
- Time & Alarm are probably irrelevant on a compass.
- Temperature maybe - but battery kit is usually best kept warm. Provided you want to know the temperature of your pockets....

Calibration is fairly straight forward but the instructions on how to program in the local magnetic declination are a bit misleading.

It seems to be at least as sensitive as a normal compass to nearby metal distorting the reading - maybe worse.

To me, cheaper digital compasses are a bit of a gimmick. They are neither as reliable or accurate as a traditional unit. Remember the Silva Nomad ? Quite small and neat, and more accurate than this item from lidl. Without baseplate or sighting marks it's neither fish nor fowl and (I suspect) didn't sell well.

The one thing going for the lidl unit is the big display and if that's of interest, then fifteen quid won't break the bank and 5 degrees resolution should be good enough.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE