Leuku & piggyback Sheath retrofitting..

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!

A while ago I posted pics of my Leuku (Brusletto blade IIRC) with an oak handle and a piggyback sheath for carrying with a Mora. Well, I just rehandled the Leuku to match my latest Mora so I figured I'd make the sheath a bit nicer too. All in all it's just temporary until I get brave enough to attempt a Scandi sheath (they're scary enough, but piggyback scandi sheath terrifies me) but I think it's turned out alright... it's covered in thin leather, stuck with impact adhesive on the front, laced up the back with leather cord. Could look much better, but I've definitely made worse!

The Leuku blade had quite an obtuse angle when I bought it, and it was slightly off centre (on the wrong side, if you know what I mean, when you're cutting down on something you're holding in your left hand (hands out of the way of course!) with the Leuku in your right - it tended to glance) so I decided to risk it and centre up the grind and put it into a thinner convex - well worth it, the steel is tough as and handles the finer geometry just fine - great edge retention, too.

A note on handle construction - this blade has a very broad, quite triangular tang which would've made drilling out the handle hellish. I therefore decided to split the wood, carve out a recess and glue back together - I had tried a similar method before, using two flat scales, but this is better I think, if you can get it to split straight enough, because the grain structure is still there to lock it together, and it's as close to seamless as I could hope for. The wood is the last few inches of an axe handle, hickory as with the Mora - it's quite a long handle, for additional grip and power where needed. Time to stop rambling...

lpcombo.jpg

lpcombo2.jpg

lpcombo3.jpg

Very pleased with this set :D

Pete

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
I know this thread is ancient but stumbled upon and i love the work. I'm about to make a handle and sheath for my new mora blade. That mora handle has a great shape to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE