Lets talk plants......

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This is from an idea that Adi Fiddler gave me on another forum.
How about I start a thread on a certain plant and get as much info as I can find about that plant written up, and then we all try to find out any more info on that plant, things like wether its edible or not, if edible then recipes, cooking methods, uses of the plant, dyes etc, medicinal values of the plant (with the correct warnings about actually using the plant for medicinal purposes). id tips, photo's, where best to find the plant, times of year it flowers, local names of the plant etc etc. Basicly, anything we can find out about the plant....
The thread could be started with the plants name, followed by the latin name, so that a quick search, would find it easily for future reference.
This is just to get peoples interest, to see if its worth doing this, cos I aint going to do all the work. Also if others want to start a thread on a certain plant then go for it...
I know many people on here say they wish they knew more about plants, well this could be a help in getting to know plants better....
What do you guys think...? Should I make a start on it.
I know talking plants, ain't as cool as talking shineys, but maybe this will help us all out....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea :cool:
There have been a couple of goes at plant lists like this but it's well overdue for a kickstart, and I like the idea of one at a time. A plant of the week/ fortnight /month sort of thing.
Besides there's a lot of new people about, fresh conversation is always more relevant.
Go on then, tell us what we're looking for :D

atb,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok, its a go then, please help out guys. I will start a new thread in a while, am currently looking up info on it....
Please keep the threads as info only and not for chatting.... :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jon Pickett said:
I know talking plants, ain't as cool as talking shineys, but maybe this will help us all out....

Well it is more cool for me than talking shineys because I'm very interested in plants....... much more than kit, as are a lot of folks on here.....especially that Toddy woman :lmao:
Excellent idea and many times already people have suggested similar but the threads seem to die a death.
Do you mean a new thread for each plant or just pile them on here ? It couldn't be any longer than Leon-B's list to learn thread :eek:
Can we have some folklore about the plants too as this is also 'tres intresant' :red: :red: :red:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
falling rain said:
Well it is more cool for me than talking shineys because I'm very interested in plants....... much more than kit, as are a lot of folks on here.....especially that Toddy woman :lmao:
Excellent idea and many times already people have suggested similar but the threads seem to die a death.
Do you mean a new thread for each plant or just pile them on here ? It couldn't be any longer than Leon-B's list to learn thread :eek:
Can we have some folklore about the plants too as this is also 'tres intresant' :red: :red: :red:
Hi Nick.....I mean a new thread for each plant, I am going to submit about one a week, and then its up to all of us to put up info on that plant, anything interesting about it, including folklore, but also stuff that will help us all out in our hobby. The threads will be titled by the plants common and latin name, so searching should be easy....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Nick.....I mean a new thread for each plant, I am going to submit about one a week, and then its up to all of us to put up info on that plant, anything interesting about it, including folklore, but also stuff that will help us all out in our hobby. The threads will be titled by the plants common and latin name, so searching should be easy....

Great idea,

I think it will need to be one thread per plant and try to stick to that plant subject only. If we all start going off on one then its gets messy and becomes harder to find the info your after.

Thanks in advance :D

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
very good idea, i will try to contribute the little i know, i will definitely read it as i need to catch up on the old plants
leon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
This is a fantastic Idea :D

There is a wiki currently in development behind the scenes here at BCUK and it will be easy enough to copy the info from these threads into it giving us all an encyclopedia like database of plantlore to use for referance.

Keep up the threads :D

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE