Lets begin...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2016
Foresthill Ca.
I found this forum through Google while looking up images for elbow adzes. I live in the Sierra Mountains of California and just recently 20 of my 100 foot tall, one hundred and a quarter century year old Pondarosa Pine trees died, due to the ravaging bark beetle that likes to flex its muscle! Good for nothing bug! Now because the trees had died, I decided to leave a couple standing at 10 feet tall. I wanted to carve bears in them. There is a guy that carves bears in the area that does a good job. He is a chainsaw carver. Everyone employs him. He happened to be carving a bear in one of those beetle eaten trees in a neighbors yard. (I heard the chainsaw and so I went wandering toward the sound). So I went over and introduced myself. Nice fella. I asked him if he would take a few minutes to check out the tree I wanted him to carve for me. He said he would be over to visit within the hour. I waited and waited. After a few hours, I knew he either forgot or snubbed me! Needless to say, I won't employ him now due to his actions. I guess I just got a little butt hurt due to his non committal, saying he would come over but didn't! I live ten seconds from my neighbor's house. The guy hasn't even contacted me. SO, I'm going to carve the bear myself! YEAH? I started looking at the Northwest Coast style of totem poles and bear carvings. That is where I found how they carve bears, by hand with knives and adze's! That is the connect with this forum. Having said all that, this forum rocks! All kinds of great info here! So, hello to all that perhaps might take the time to read all my gibberish.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your carving project, post some pics up please.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hello and welcome. Best advise regarding the trees is to cut them down, shave the stumps, and get then away from your property as soon as possible. Pine beetles can infect your entire property in a heartbeat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE