Lesser spotted woody.....WOOOHOOOOOOO...!!!!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
At last, I have finally seen one. I have been after a lesser spotted woodpecker for years now, I have never seen one, until today, and I get to see both the male and female feeding their young. Not only that, I had my camera and managed to get some shots. These are quite rare birds, look a bit like the greater spotted, but are only the size of a sparrow.
Also this morning while doing my plant surveying, I found a new plant for the site, so its been a good morning for me.......

The male....
DSC03236Small.jpg

And the female....
DSC03229Small.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon,

I'm delighted for you!

They are great photos and have confirmed in my mind that all I have ever seen is Greaters!

Lovely shots

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
wonderful photos Jon. I was in the woods watching a woodpecker feeding it's young yesterday but it was a common or garden greater spotted. Funny thing was that when I got closer to the big oak tree where it was nesting I noticed a cracking specimen of a chicken of the woods fungus a few metres down from the hole. Now I have to patiently wait
for the peckers to leave the nest before I can feast on the fungus :sulkoff:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers guys, I am still buzzing....Have to go back there again, and if I am lucky, I will catch the youngsters fledging...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It must be the season. My wife saw her first ever woodpecker yesterday. She shouted so loudly at me that I nearly drove the car off the road!:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE