Les Stroud Survival Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
One my my mates ask me if he should get this kit and I said have a look at the reviews online before, So I've watched some of them and there pretty mixed to be honest, So has anybody own or have experience with it.
cheer's

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I just looked it up in the internet.

Although the items seem to have a higher quality as in usual toy kits, that isn't what I would choose to gift it to my nephew or niece should they risk to get into a survival situation in the woods where they would depend on it.

There is similar equipment on the market, that is constructed better, the only item that seems to be convincing in the first view is the Fox 40 micro whistle, but as I found a green one on a photo of this kit, although it is also offered in orange, I doubt that the whole kit is packed seriously.

In my opinion a well working real survival kit can't be sold for this low price.

Would I expect to get into such kind of troubles, I would pack for example the following:

Bottle carrier pouch with large side pockets or similar shoulder bag.
Bottle, Nalgene stainless steel, cylindrical
Mug, Lixada 750 ml with bail and butterfly handles, stainless steel, nesting under the bottle.
Wire snare with additional open hook in the end to hang both over a fire
spoon
Cotton handkerchief
as water pre filter and pot holder cloth.
Micropour Forte water purification tabs

Knife, Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85 with plastic sheath and belt clip, seems to fit into the bottle. Blade rust protected by coconut oil film.
Ferrocerium rod, light my fire Army, orange
Lighter, Bic, orange,
Duct tape, orange, wrapped around it.
Toilet paper
Mini candle
as fire starter

Hiking map of the area in a zip lock freezer bag.
Compass Silva Ranger SL
or Suunto M-9 wristband compass
Head lamp, Petzl e+lite
Spare batteries in small plastic bag
Whistle, Fox 40 Micro, orange
Cordage, Edelrid Multicord 2,5 mm, 3 m long, orange (to tension poncho as plow point shelter or make a tripod)
Basic fishing kit
Caperlan pouch
or zipp lock freezer bag to keep the small stuff together when the bottle gets in use.

Signal mirror
Poncho
, Defcon 5 (as bivvy bag or shelter too)
Bivvy bag, Snugpak Special Forces or red Alpkit Hunka
Platypus 1 litre folding bottle for additional water carrying capacity.

Muesli and chocolate bars

I guess most of it will fit into the Nagelne stainless steel bottle, but I didn't try it out yet.
Poncho, bivvy bag and signal mirror should fit into the side pockets of the bottle carrier with shoulder strap.

Because this is meant as a real survival kit, it costs a bit money. But otherwise it can be used for planed overnighters and hiking tours too, because it is long lasting and comfortable to use. One just needs to add a sleeping bag like the Snugpak Special Forces 1 and the multimat adventure 4 XL foldable sleeping mat to have a pretty comfortable and really compact 3 seasons equipment, what I also would carry in a day pack with the kit above should I really expect to need it in a wilderness survival situation.

One needs to train with such a kit anyway if one expects to need it in potential troubles. Even if one cooks noodles instead of insects, wurms and berries, such a kit must be used to develop the needed skills. And as we know, it is a very nice hobby.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fishing-waterproof-pouch/_/R-p-12907?mc=8298668&c=BLUE

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
which one?
camillus-cm19258-les-stroud-survival-kit.jpg

CM19259.jpg

both look a little over priced and with nothin branded I'd imaging its just the cheap china made stuff all over ebay

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe they have been discontinued.
Walmart price for the individual kit is $88 (£64). That's ridiculous.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
It was the Larger Brew Pot kit, And yeah I've said to him it's over priced but it did have alot of benefits ''size'' Not being 1 of them And he reminded me that I had pretty much spent that on my SUMA tin with no kit, So I suppose were both right, I'll let him have the last word.
cheer's

Reactions: Chekmate

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The Larger Brew Pot kit was supposed to be for a group? Who was he trying to kid

Not even enough tape supplied for knuckle wraps before the scrap for it started...

As an aside I laughed at the SUMA tin when I first saw the cost but its a well made bit of kit.

More than I'd ever need but try as I might I coudn't put a dent in the one I played with

Reactions: SCOMAN

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Les Stroud was talking about including the survival kit in your pack. I've always been told that, if you're heading out into the wilds, you go equipped; so, naturally, I carry in my pack and on my person the necessaries to look after myself, should an accident or something untoward befall me. I include things that I know I can use effectively and they live in my pack all the time, so I know where to find them. Ultimately, when it comes down to it, I simply don't need a 'survival kit' per se because I have everything I need to do exactly that - survive. I would argue further that any outdoorsperson worth their salt would always be similarly equipped.

But then, being equipped and able to cope is not 'survival' - it's bushcraft or backpacking or whatever you will. 'Survival' begins when that unforeseen situation arrives, you do not have your customary range of necessaries with you and need to rely on whatever resources you can find and modify to make life comfortable until you get rescued. In those sorts of situations, it is unlikely that you would have a 'survival kit' of the types examined by Les with you. So, is there really any point in such kits?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I don't know, I don't really go into the wild a lot.

Nessmuk mentions his ditty bag as essentials if you lose your main pack?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I suppose Nessmuk was writing in a time when the rucksack was a somewhat different beast to the packs we use now, so having a ditty bag was a viable alternative. I'd imagine that the modern equivalent of the ditty bag might be seen as your pockets and/or anything that you might wear or carry on a belt.

To his credit, Les does say that the majority of bits and pieces in his kit are better carried in your pockets, in case, as you say, you lose your pack. This is sense with which I would agree: if your 'survival kit' is in one tin and you happen to mislay it, that could be a serious blow; however, if you have a range of small but useful and functional things spread through your pockets and about your person, you will stand a better chance of being able to cope with unexpected disasters because it'll be highly unlikely that you'll have lost everything.

Force of habit means that I tend to keep things in the same pockets. That way, I know where things are; the downside of it is the mild panic that occurs when, say, my SAK isn't in its usual place! Still, you can't win 'em all!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think the point is you are never without it, even though you may get separated from your main pack.
Eg. if hunting your not carrying your entire camp's worth of gear with you.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yep Experience and knowledge are in your head and useful everyday, but if you need a Pot and you haven't got 1 I'd rather have 1 in my Bergan / kit.
Oh yeah the Suma tin can take more than you will need it for.
cheer's

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Buy a basic BCB survival kit full tin to start you off, use this tin and it’s contents to start you off or/and get a trangia mess tin set and make you own up. More satisfying

one of the fun challenges I had as a teenager a long time ago was trying to fit all Eddie McGee’s survival kit from his book into a matchbox. Try it, it’s possible but tricky. I had another go during the first lockdown with my kids.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Survival kit can follow a list. I followed lofty wisemans (because it’s simples, it’s basic, it’s useful) but it’s “all about” personal preference, choice and your usage or whereabouts.

for me it has to be small otherwise I wouldn’t carry it and therefore what’s the harm carrying it, Boy Scouts be prepared etc so it always a tobacco tin but contents might be all first aid with bits added a firesteel (whatever)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
He asked me to put a ''shut out'' for info on this kit basically because it's a so called full kit that's already made-up, I think? as when I said make your own and I'll help you he told me that he'd rather Add item's to a Pre-made kit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yep Experience and knowledge are in your head and useful everyday, but if you need a Pot and you haven't got 1 I'd rather have 1 in my Bergan / kit.
Oh yeah the Suma tin can take more than you will need it for.
cheer's

Can you do me a favour and post a phot of your Suma tin loaded up and open? I'm trying to get an idea of scale. Thanks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I just looked it up in the internet.

Although the items seem to have a higher quality as in usual toy kits, that isn't what I would choose to gift it to my nephew or niece should they risk to get into a survival situation in the woods where they would depend on it.

There is similar equipment on the market, that is constructed better, the only item that seems to be convincing in the first view is the Fox 40 micro whistle, but as I found a green one on a photo of this kit, although it is also offered in orange, I doubt that the whole kit is packed seriously.

In my opinion a well working real survival kit can't be sold for this low price.

Would I expect to get into such kind of troubles, I would pack for example the following:

Bottle carrier pouch with large side pockets or similar shoulder bag.
Bottle, Nalgene stainless steel, cylindrical
Mug, Lixada 750 ml with bail and butterfly handles, stainless steel, nesting under the bottle.
Wire snare with additional open hook in the end to hang both over a fire
spoon
Cotton handkerchief
as water pre filter and pot holder cloth.
Micropour Forte water purification tabs

Knife, Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85 with plastic sheath and belt clip, seems to fit into the bottle. Blade rust protected by coconut oil film.
Ferrocerium rod, light my fire Army, orange
Lighter, Bic, orange,
Duct tape, orange, wrapped around it.
Toilet paper
Mini candle
as fire starter

Hiking map of the area in a zip lock freezer bag.
Compass Silva Ranger SL
or Suunto M-9 wristband compass
Head lamp, Petzl e+lite
Spare batteries in small plastic bag
Whistle, Fox 40 Micro, orange
Cordage, Edelrid Multicord 2,5 mm, 3 m long, orange (to tension poncho as plow point shelter or make a tripod)
Basic fishing kit
Caperlan pouch
or zipp lock freezer bag to keep the small stuff together when the bottle gets in use.

Signal mirror
Poncho
, Defcon 5 (as bivvy bag or shelter too)
Bivvy bag, Snugpak Special Forces or red Alpkit Hunka
Platypus 1 litre folding bottle for additional water carrying capacity.

Muesli and chocolate bars

I guess most of it will fit into the Nagelne stainless steel bottle, but I didn't try it out yet.
Poncho, bivvy bag and signal mirror should fit into the side pockets of the bottle carrier with shoulder strap.

Because this is meant as a real survival kit, it costs a bit money. But otherwise it can be used for planed overnighters and hiking tours too, because it is long lasting and comfortable to use. One just needs to add a sleeping bag like the Snugpak Special Forces 1 and the multimat adventure 4 XL foldable sleeping mat to have a pretty comfortable and really compact 3 seasons equipment, what I also would carry in a day pack with the kit above should I really expect to need it in a wilderness survival situation.

One needs to train with such a kit anyway if one expects to need it in potential troubles. Even if one cooks noodles instead of insects, wurms and berries, such a kit must be used to develop the needed skills. And as we know, it is a very nice hobby.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fishing-waterproof-pouch/_/R-p-12907?mc=8298668&c=BLUE

I do think the Nalgene bottle kit has a lot of merit and am playing around with Three kits currently. I'd be interested in seeing some phots of yours set up and laid out of possible.
To me its more a ' leave in the car kit ' as its slightly too heavy for carry without noticing it ( i think ) but lets be honest most of these Survival kit concepts are flights of personal fantasy.

The most useful items to be used in a true survival situation ( which I doubt any of us will face ) would be the bits and bobs that are of use carried in the wallet, pocket , jacket as a matter of course.

Reactions: oldtimer

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Exactly!
And I have to tell you that my personal survival kit consists of a Victorinox Compact pocket knife, a Bic mini cigarette lighter, a few paper handkerchiefs and well chosen,also waterproof clothing on the person, because I do not expect to get in a survival situation longer than a night of 6 hours. And I already used this kit for recreational camping below the freezing point decades ago.
And if I travel, I always carry minimum 34 litres of the best equipment around, that's offered on the world market.

This contains also most of the items that I listed above or very similar equipment.

But the idea to pack a bottle survival kit I developed due to the Corona crises, because I haven't much more to do than to teach nephew and nice in survival techniques. And as I have seen, they slowly need to get an own equipment, lightweight, robust, well working and in small sizes.

So, I can't show you pictures, because I don't own this combination, I just own parts of it.

These by me already well tested items are the potentially critical though, like poncho, bivvy bag, head lamp, compass, cordage etc.

What I don't own are the Nalgene bottle, exactly this steel mug, the Terävä knife, the Platypus bottle and the Fox 40 whistle. As as you see, that are items, that will work well without any doubt. They really are testend by enough other experienced persons.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE