Legalities of collecting wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but it sort of fits in several. Mods, feel free to move it if you see fit.

I was pondering this afternoon on the legalities of collecting wood. I'm thinking here of places where you do not have explicit permission, and because laws differ in different places, I'm thinking specifically of England. So... what are the laws on collecting wood? My first thought was that any wood is the property of the owner of the land, be it living, dead-standing, or on the floor. Then I remembered from my childhood regularly seeing people collecting firewood in the fields behind our house (I'm talking adults collecting in a barrow, rather than kids scavenging for a den or fire), and nobody thinking twice about it.

So is it OK to collect dead wood from the floor (I'm talking an armfull, not a lorry load)?

What about dead-standing?

What about harvesting a few living branches here and there, as people do with Holly in the winter?

I'm after a local source of greenwood for various projects I have in mind. Obviously, given the chance I'd use wood harvested from my woodland, but that's not very practical given the distances involved.

Is the letter of the law different to people's experiences in practice?

What does the panel think...?
G

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As far as I am concerned, it is dead wood and as long as I don't take the lot and leave some for the funghi and insects, then I am harming nobody. Law wise, I'm probably in the wrong as I haven't looked in to it, but if the copper wanted to nick me and take my pack frame full of wood as evidence, then he can bloomin' well carry it hisself!

:D

ganstey

Settler
leave some for the funghi and insects

Which reminds me...

Whilst I was in the wood this afternoon I spotted what I believe was a Stinkhorn - didn't have my camera with me :banghead: It wasn't 'fully grown', but had a definite phalic shape. I didn't get close enough to smell it, but it was covered in flies. First time I'm ever positively identified a fungi in the wild :)

G

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have started collecting for a woodpile. Some has been collected where a fallen branch was a public danger. Guerilla clearence of fallen wood! Spot it, pop back at dusk, saw it into 4' lengths, into the back of the car, chopped up back at the ranch.

I scored a pile of fly-tipped logs this evening from where they have been dumped next to a road. I can't see coppers complaining about a member of the public clearing it up.
Cheers,
Steve

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Truth be told, I don't reckon that anyone is going to mind you helping yourself to the odd fallen log here and there, but bear in mind that if it's on private land it belongs to the landowner. If in doubt, try to find out who owns the land and ask permission; after all, it's only being polite and it might lead to other things - permission to camp maybe. :) I'd definately ask permission before I started felling trees!

If it's "Common Land" you don't necessarily have the right to go wandering about helping yourself to wheelbarrow loads of wood, fallen or otherwise!

Here's a good website that seems pretty balanced and informative.

http://www.naturenet.net/index.php

A quote from their "Common Land" page:

“Common land is subject to 'rights of common', for example, the right to graze certain stock or the right to collect wood or turf. These rights belong to individuals (the 'commoners'), not to everyone. These individuals are often defined as living in certain properties, or in a certain area, e.g. a village or parish. Often the rights have died out, and a common has no commoners; or if the commoners exist they no longer exercise their rights.”

I'd say a quick call to the Clerk of your local Parish Council might give you the info on any Commoners' Rights you may have for Common Land in your locality.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
“Common land is subject to 'rights of common', for example, the right to graze certain stock or the right to collect wood or turf. These rights belong to individuals (the 'commoners'), not to everyone. These individuals are often defined as living in certain properties, or in a certain area, e.g. a village or parish. Often the rights have died out, and a common has no commoners; or if the commoners exist they no longer exercise their rights.”

Fortunately I live in a village where these commoner's rights still exist and I am allowed to gather wood for personnal use :)
If I didn't I would be tempted to ask permission before collecting armfuls. As SY said it may lead to something better if the landowner is amenable.
Saying that I'm sure picking up the odd bit for spoon making would probably not upset anyone. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE