LeatherWorlds Horizontal F1 Sheath

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
These have been on Ebay for a while now, and I like the concept since buying Rob Bayleys version. I had no idea of the quality of these sheaths and I don't even own an F1 anymore, but my slimline Deval Bushcrafter might just fit, so I took a punt.

Takes about a week to arrive as they make them to order. I suppose if you have the specs of your own knife, they can make adjustments to the retaining strap and firesteel loops etc. Anything more than that and no doubt they would need to see the knife.

DSC06666.jpg

DSC06667.jpg

Anyway, it arrived, and it is of a very high quality manufacture. Not quite up to Robs exacting standards, but certainly well put together, neat and made from thick quality leather. I didn't try it with an F1, but as it is made for that knife, you'd be hard pushed to find a better sheath unless you went high end custom.

DSC06668.jpg

It was good news and bad news for me. The good news, my knife slipped in like it was made for it, the bad news, the retainer strap was nowhere near long enough to close around my bushys handle. I did toy with the idea of selling it on, then decided to risk wet forming. The good news is, it worked.

DSC06669.jpg

If it can be made to fit this knife, it can easily be made to fit a Woodlore sized bushcrafter without too much effort. Leatherworld offer this sheath and a few other styles in different colours and configurations to suit everyones tastes, and going from this sheath, I highly recommend them.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I would endorse this good review. I have one of these sheaths for my F1, which of course fits it perfectly, and which I'm really pleased with.

Mine took about 10 working days to arrive, which is exactly how long they said it would take. It just feels like ages when you're waiting for something to come through the post though doesn't it? :)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i can't access that link Stew, but thanks anyway mate.

i'm doing a bit of research into horizontal sheaths at the moment so any other sites etc would be brill.

Cheers

Robbi

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I wonder if my spyderco bushcrafter would fit in on of them...
it could do with a decent sheath.

I was just thinking the same and could i make one to fit then stew posted :)

those sheath are nice Stew a little square for my liking i might just have to have a go at making some a little more curvy than those

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I should think that the Sydie would fit no problem, but you may have to stratch the snap retainer slightly. I haven't got one to test for you anymore unfortunately.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit to being rather baffled by these side-entry sheaths. Getting the blade out from behind your back would indeed seem magical but surely there's quite a risk of skewering yourself when putting the blade back in? Along with that, you don't have good ol' gravity helping to keep your most valuable tool where it should be to the same degree. I'd love someone to explain why these are good and what advantages they have over an ordinary vertical sheath.

I'm not here to stir it (perish the thought!) but I am interested.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
these can be worn at the front as well and the securing press stud negates the need for gravity. If worn with a thigh length jacket, the sheath is hidden, so it's easy to take the knife out and leave it in the car etc if you need to pop into a petrol station etc without removing the sheath from your belt. They are easier to sit down with as compared to a standard belt sheath, around the camp or in a car etc

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are no harder to get the knife in and out than a vertical belt sheath worn on the hip too. The whole system doesn't get in the way as much as vertical sheaths when sitting or climing. It has the same advantages and disadvantages than any other carry method t be honest. The fit is such that the knife is secure with or without the retaining strap, it is just there for added security.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Two years late to this thread but I'll second what JonathanD has said, these are really high quality sheaths.

I've recently bought my second sheath from Leatherworld and am really pleased with it, the first was the same as the one pictured previously, the second one is similar but also features a pouch for the DC4.

I think there was around a year and a half or so between buying the two and the quality has got even better in that time.

The new sheath:

IMG_0195.jpg

No affiliations etc, just happy with my purchase

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
guys......theyre made by luckylee.........arent they?.....hes here on bcuk....you can see tons of his great work in the diy and makers sections....its a fantastic sheath and a toughie to match, leave alone beat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE