Leatherwork Starter Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
MagiKelly said:
Wrong end of the stick ;)
Phew, I though you might be in need of a Bushcrafting Knighthood. :cool:
OK, so having molded my sheath, it wouldn't fit in a stitching pony so I'm skeptical about the "need" for one. I can see that a stitch-marker would keep things neat, and a groover helps to protect the finished stitches, but what are the differences between an adjustable one and a fixed? What about things like a beveller, is one necessary if I'm only making sheaths and the odd pouch? Then awls etc etc.
Perhaps some of our experienced leatherworkers could post a photo of their bare minimum kit and explain what each tool does and why they think it necessary. It's asking a lot but I'm starting from a position of very little information here. Marts, do you have a link for the kit you bought :eek:

TIA

Ogri the trog

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
If you want really, really minimalist then an awl, needles, thread and a knife are all that are needed. You can do all the cutting out, skiving, bevelling etc. with the one knife if you really want to.

Beveller and burnisher (or bone folder) are excellent for making edges nice & neat; a bone knife handle or similar makes a really good burnisher.

I don't use my fully adjustable groover much, usually preferring to work with a couple of pre-set groovers. An adjustable crease gets used quite a lot, although it is a newish tool to me.

If you're using an awl, a means of holding the work hands free is not just nice to have, I'd regard it as pretty much essential. At the very least it'll cut down on the number of times you jab yourself; I found it made it much, much easier to get neater stitches.

Might be worth remembering that when it comes to tools, I'm anything but a minimalist... :D

leon-1

Marts said:
John

I have the Bowstock Leatherworking starter kit and have never got around to using it. I was planning on trying to convince Leon or JD to teach me the basics at the Summer moot anyway so the kit is just going to sit on the shelf.

It's yours if you want it. Then you can just add a stitch wheel or whatever.

Marts If I am there look me up:D.

I may be making a set of moccs or similar, but if you want to sit and have a chat and brew whilst I am doing things you know you are welcome. Any knowledge I have you are welcome to.

I would say that I would teach people how to make at this meet, but I probably couldn't afford the hide/supplies without charging and it would have to be limited numbers.

S

Selous

this is an interesting thread for us newbie leather workers. I've made a couple of sheaths in the last month: my first ever leather work. I found leather marvelous stuff to work with, and very forgiving!

But the latest post re awls interests me: what do you put under the workpiece when making holes? I work on a piece of olive wood to protect the kitchen table, and I've broken an awl blade by pushing too hard onto the wood. Also, I get a better hole if I have nothing underneath, as I can push the blade all the way through, rather than being stopped by the wood. So I either do the work in my lap, or over the edge of the board. Either way the leather tends to bend as I work on it, and I have real difficulty keeping the awl straight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
What a good thread, I'm also in the process of making out an order list from Leprevo, they're definately the cheapest I've found for all the necessary bits and pieces.

Having a little bit of trouble getting my order to upload, but I'll ring em today and sort it out.

I'm ordering the following as a starter kit:-

Stitch groover small
Overstitich wheel
Awl handle
Awl blade 2 inch
Saddlers needles size 3
Stitich groover adjustable
Some oil dye
and then some various rivets and poppers etc for projects i've got in mind.

I found the Leprevo "How To's" very good for an idea on what basics to buy.

You have to watch the VAT and carriage, as it does add up very quickly, and as Magic Kelly says, it's easy to get carried away :lmao:

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I am a leather working newbie, usually i just use a big needle and thread and a bradawl from my workshop, so excuse my newbieness.

whats the difference between a thonging punch/ chisel and a pricking iron as they look similar?

oh and whats the difference between a scratch awl and a ordinary awl, as someone earlier recomended you needed both?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmm,
Well I might have some of the basics sewn up :rolleyes: but Leprevo had sold out of groovers both fixed and adjustable. If theres some kind soul willing to post a good close-up photo of a groover, I might be able to make one or use something similar as an improvisation....

Any takers....

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE