Leathermen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Some are OK, some are atrocious, others are good. I'd say think hard about the tools you really might need, and buy a decent brand like either Leatherman or Victorinox. I tend to pack a small - 4 inch or similar - pair of mole type grips as well as the Leatherman because I usually found I was holding something with the pliers, whilst wanting to work on it with one of the other tools.

Dave

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I own two, an older Wave and a newer Wingman. Of the two the wave feels more durable and has more tools, but the spring pliers on the wingman are easier to use but both feel like solid tools. Personally i prefer a good swiss army knife, they tend to work out cheaper too and have all the same tools minus the pliers, which i never seem to use anyway. The one i have is the Outrider by Victorianox and its a cracking piece of kit.

Tonyuk

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I really like my Wave. If you're going lighter weight that are other alternatives but if that's not an issue they are useful. Leatherman's warranty is also excellent. Sent a pair back a few year ago as mine had various screwdriver bits etc broken. I had a reply back that they weren't making mine anymore so have a free upgrade. Really very good.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
As above i tend to want a second tool when using the pliers, they are a nice idea, but would be far more useful if the main tool for holding things was detachable; i havent carried mine for a long while now, i've got a pair of pliers, couple of forceps, tweezers and a mini screw driver with different heads; plus knife and saw, in a little side pocket, and i feel thats been way more useful for me

Def worth thinking about what you need from the kit, because on its own a leatherman can be a pain in the b

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Thanks guys. Most I've looked at seem to have an excess of unwanted accessorage. No need for scissors or nail file... I think all that is needed is knife blade (legal carry?), screwdriver (both types, philips and the other one), pliers, and it would be nice to have wire cutters capable of cutting fence wire (in an emergency, not as a regular thing) but not essential. A nice compact package you could have on your belt and forget about. But only if each of those things is truly functional and robust.

Otherwise it's back to the christmas present drawing board, and no one wants to go there with only 50 days to go!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think most multi tools would struggle to cut fence wire if I'm honest. There's also some debate as to the legality of a knife blade on a leatherman type tool with regard to if it is deemed to be locking or not.

Dave

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a Leatherman Wave. It sits in a little drawer over my desk in case of odd little jobs, but the only thing that I ever use on it is the pliers. It's a fine pliers for light jobs, but the handles aren't terribly comfortable, so for any heavy job, I go to the tool cupboard for a real one.

The screwdrivers are functional, but again the handle is weird for that purpose, so I seldom use them. The ones on my SAK see far more use, and if they won't do, it's another trip to the tool cupboard.

As for the knives, well the SAK is just more convenient.

The Leatherman has its place, especiallly if your activity involves mechanical stuff, but for everyday carry I find it heavy and not terribly practical.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Useful thread this.

I too face the birthday/christmas present problem with family asking for a wish list. Reading the replies has helped me to stick with the SAK separate pliers route.

Whilst leaving my nearest and dearest with the usual problem, it has saved the expense of what would have turned out to be an unwanted present!

Always so much common sense on this forum. But to get a sensible answer it is first necessary to ask the right question. I look forward to plenty of interesting ideas in the follow-up posts.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I think a lot of it comes down to what you're going to use it for. I stopped carrying the SAK because I had the Wave but frequently begrudge the weight of it so it's normally around the house rather than in use. Saying that I always goes with when on the motorbike or when cycling and get's used quite frequently. I think for camping purposes, unless you need pliars or wire cutters they are probably over kill and there are better options out there. I know Leatherman and Gerber make some with scissors/shears instead of the pliars, there are also versions like the Skeletool that are designed to keep the weight down.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd bought a wave and use it a fair bit. I found it useful to do some tasks like putting up shelves, sorting the chicken coop or whatever using only the wave, helped me to get the hang of it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think most multi tools would struggle to cut fence wire if I'm honest. There's also some debate as to the legality of a knife blade on a leatherman type tool with regard to if it is deemed to be locking or not.

Dave

My Charge TTI cuts fence wire easily, not the high tensile stuff, but normal wire cutters have trouble with that. The Rebar even has replaceable cutter blades.

The legality of multitool knives has often been discussed. The legal standpoint is that fixed or locking blades are legal to carry "with good reason", so if you're using the tool at work that's fine. Ultimately it's discretionary. A Leatherman still in your pocket at the end of a work day, or cycle trip is likely to be ok. (As long as your attitude is too).

A Leatherman at a nightclub might not be a good idea. As would being a smart **** to the inquisitive copper.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Another SAK + pliers (Knipex needle nose combination pliers). Actually works out lighter than a Leatherman too, and lighter on the wallet.

Hints have been dropped that I would quite like a solid brass Douglass Field S Lighter :D

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
That is a very smart lighter. In my increasingly desperate searching I came across the most beautiful item which I would buy if I won the lottery. I have never coveted an axe before!!
14962566_1495844977098497_8865992606055329696_n.jpg

14947775_1495844983765163_4236233611794378592_n.jpg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I own two, an older Wave and a newer Wingman. Of the two the wave feels more durable and has more tools, but the spring pliers on the wingman are easier to use but both feel like solid tools. Personally i prefer a good swiss army knife, they tend to work out cheaper too and have all the same tools minus the pliers, which i never seem to use anyway. The one i have is the Outrider by Victorianox and its a cracking piece of kit.

Tonyuk

I 2nd that for the outrider good locking penknife the other I use is the handyman penknife both lighter and even though I have a leatherman and and a Gerber the penknife is the one I go for 100% of the time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE