Leatherman Wave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I've tried most of the multi tools and still favour the SAK- Swiss Champ.
I got a WAVE from the US and saved a load of dosh.
It was a gift for my father and on his birthday i managed to cut myself very badly (almost lost the top of my finger with the serrated blade due to too much red wine and being a stupid :***: ) so i never really took to it.
I do rate it much higher than other multi tools but not above my SAK.

RB

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Hi, this is my first post to the forums.

I own a Wave and a Harley Motor Tool (made by united cutlery). The Wave is excellent but is eclipsed by the Charge (I think there's also a revamped wave due out). I got the Harley tool as I wasn't comfortable routinely carrying a locking blade. It's really rather good - I got it from ebay for 25 quid and Heinne is advertising them at 100! It comes with the most ridiculously overbuilt leather pouch (with buckles and tassles of course).

I owned a Gerber 600 before the wave and they are also very good quality - the engineering standards are much better than the Wave. The only problem is that the design of the tools is a bit quirky which limits the usefulness and the steel is not as hard, particularly the likes of the philips screwdriver. I don't think it was a one off as I've also got a Gerber multi-lite which is the same.

Mark

quarterstaff

Aug 5, 2004
uk
My first post to,hello everyone :wave: .
I have a wave thats doing well after around 8 years on/off carrying and a pst in me work bag.But the Sideclip is my most used tool simply because it is very,carrieable(word?),legal and above all handy.
Mine is around 10 years old and the jaws have broke,the large screwdriver snapped and the clip bent,service from whitby's is excellent,a replacement last time.A good pieace of kit which ever model.
cheers

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hi to the new guys. Hope you enjoy it here. Mark if those are your own Chris Reeve's in your avatar then I think you might be posting in the edged tools section again :wink:

I checked my wave and it does have 4 locking blades (that means it's not some mega expensive one off then, oh well)

Bill

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I got my wave during my call up for op telic. The shop owner wanted £110, but let me have it for £60 as I was in uniform at the time! :p I have no complaints about it at all, good bit of kit. :super:

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
tenbears10 said:
Hi to the new guys. Hope you enjoy it here. Mark if those are your own Chris Reeve's in your avatar then I think you might be posting in the edged tools section again :wink:

I checked my wave and it does have 4 locking blades (that means it's not some mega expensive one off then, oh well)

Bill

Yep. I've a MkIV bought in '87 and a Shadow IV, bought last year.
6aa6.jpg

I got into 'survival' (none of this bushcraft lark back then) in the late seventies, being inspired by 'Stay Alive with Eddie MacGee' on TV. I've grown up on 'propper survival knives' and as yet haven't caught the GB Axe + Mora knife bug!

Mark

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I have just, in the last 10 mins, received a brand new Leatherman Charge Ti from the US. I've only just taken it out of the box and had a quick look at it but I think I can safely say that this is one of the best engineered pocket tools I have ever seen. The blades open and close beautifully, the lock is positive and secure and the feel of it is excellent. Add to this the fact that the tools are well thought out and the interchangeable bits make it extra versatile, I think that this is a cracking pocket tool!

I think that this is indeed a winner!

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I bought a Wave but gave it to my Dad. It just did not feel as well put together or finished as my Super Tool. I also own a Gerber 600 Scout, Swiss Tool, PS1 etc etc etc all kinds of tool adaptors for the above as well!

When I reach for a tool, its the Leatherman Super Tool.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
sargey said:
I still prefer a swiss tool. i'm hanging on til the new sexy swiss tools come out in the autumn.

the question to be asked with a multitool or not, is "how often do you need a fullsize pair of pliers?" i use my PSTII all day every day at work. out side of being a maintenance engineer, the tweasers, pen, pin, corkscrew, and a load of other bits and pieces on my swiss champ are used much more often.

I've been a fan of multi-tools for years. I have an original Leatherman PST, which I used for a few years. I found it handy and compact. Subsequently, I bought a first model Supertool (plus adaptor). It has more features than the PST, but the first model Supertool's 'blade' locking system is inconvenient (even hazardous).

Several years ago I bought a Swisstool and it has been on my belt constantly ever since. It's a bit of a lump, but it's a thoroughly workmanlike and useful package. I've looked at other multi-tools -including the Wave- but none have tempted me away from the Swisstool. A few years back, Homebase was selling Swisstools at forty something quid (less 10% on discount days). I bought another as backup. I've worn out one belt pouch (stitching), but like the design and convenience of the Velcro flap. The lack of single-handed blade opening isn't especially important for me, but I really like the easy-to-use Swisstool blade/implement locking system and the lack of 'clumping'.

I must disagree with Sargey: I use the pliers, themselves, more than anything else on a multi-tool -all kinds of wire work; staple-pulling and burnishing/smoothing with the rounded backs of the jaws.

The saw blade gets a surprising amount of use for little impromptu jobs (when the proper saws have been left at home).

I use the file a lot too, usually for smoothing off some irritating bit of sharp/snaggy metal. The chisel/scraper implement is unique (?) to the Swisstool and I've found a fair bit of use for that one too.

The Swisstool gets my vote.

Burnt Ash

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
The ti looks like a nice piece of kit. One retailer has it on sale for $99.90US and has the wave on sale for $59.90US.

Me, I carry an original model on my hip. Cost me $5.00US at a yard sale and is in primo condition. Bought the wife a P4 and she loves it.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Andy said:
the scraper thing is the only bit I haven't used on my swiss tool. I can't even think what I would use it for. What do you do with it?
I find it makes a handy chisel ...

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I have a Leatherman Super Tool 200. This has less blades than the Wave but is larger and more robust.
I've have no problem with it other than managing turn my serated blade edge when cutting a tin can in half (I was making a lid for a homemade billycan).

If anyone wants a Leatherman I'd recommend oudoorsuppliesUK for a bargain.

Matt

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Hi Adi

Where did you get the Charge from? How much lighter does it feel than the Wave?, I've been waiting on these since the SHOT show :wink:

Cheers

Shaun
The Charge Ti is heavier than the Wave ... not much so, under half an ounce or about 15 grams or so. The different is in the feel of the tool and how it operates. The Charge feels like a well made, professional multi-tool and all the clunky feel normally associated is lost. All the actions of the blades and tools are smooth and positive and placement of blades is well thought out.

As to where I got it ... well, I have contacts! However, shop around and you can find it for under $80 the other side of the pond!

Jul 5, 2004
Hello,
I don't have a Wave but am seriously looking at a Charge. I have an original Leatherman in my van tool bag that is very useful. I use a swiss tool as my primary large tool. I also have a Juice CS-4 for lighter work, a P-4 squirt for fine work, and a S-4 for sissors. A while back I picked up three EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) :yikes: SOG black oxide Powerlocks on Ebay for $32.00 each. They are rock solid. One for my nephew, one for a friend, the other is in my range bag. Great tool, but too heavy for daily carry.

eodplcombo.jpg

Have not used the blasting cap crimpers but who knows! :Slam_anim :struck:

S

SleepyWeasel

Hi guys
First post so bear with me, I got a Wave last year from a little place in Chinatown NYC and it cost me $70, previous to that I had a Gerber Legend, which I thought was too gimicky for serious work, a Gerber Multitool, which was great but didn't like hard wire, and failed the 'use it as an emergency priest' test and before all those a Leatherman PST II, which I loved. The Wave goes everywhere with me and does everything I ask of it. I'm hoping to go over to the States again soon so may invest in the new Charge Ti and see how I get along with that.
Nice to know someone else remembers that Staying Alive program back in the seventies, how little did I know it would have such a big impact on my life!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I recieved my Leatherman Charge Ti today and I can't fault it but................. Well it is very useful and everything Adi said but my Leatherman Juice CS4 is every bit as useful. In fact it seems to have more functions. The CS has an AWL, corkscrew, wich both get a fair bit of use. I never quite get the reasoning behind haveing two blades on a multi tool. Yes, yes I know the serated blade cuts rope better but the straight blade cuts it well enough for a multi tool and I would rather have another unique tool than another blade. With only one blade I could have a pointy thing for taking stones out of horses hoofs instead. Also I am not sure I like the attachment for the lanyard loop. The loop stops the tool from fitting in the pouch, there is nowhere to store the loop in the pouch if it is not fitted and if you have attached the loop and are relying on it to secure your tool it is a bit disturbing to find that when you unlock the screwdriver or can opener blade the lanyard loop is released as well. To be hones it makes the lanyard loop a complete waste of time.

Actually looking back over my rant it appears I can fault the Charge but I am still very pleased with it. Even with the minor niggles it is a very useful piece of kit. My CS4 will remain my EDC and the Charge will live in my car for emergencies as well as coming out on the canoe and bushcraft trips.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There is a built-in lanyard loop on the Charge - look at the end with the scissors and you'll notice a pop-up lanyard loop.

The blade steel on the Charge is also a LOT better being 154CM and that should retain and edge a LOT longer.

But the real benefit of the Charge (apart from the interchangeable bits) is the bronze bushes between the tools ... that tool is gonna be sweet ot open after years of service!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
From the discription it sounded as if there was a fixed Lanyard loop but I could not see it. Of course now I am at work and the Charge is at home so I will have to wait till tonight to have another look.

Generally i do not need a lanyard loop but when in the Canoe I like to have a knife clipped to my life vest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE