Leatherman Wave Serrated blade - Sharpening

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a Leatherman wave (new version) which could use it's serrated blade getting some attention. The non serrated blade has had an appointment with a DC3 and a leather strop. But how on earth do you sharpen a serrated blade?

J

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I sharpen mine on the spyderco sharpener, you just sharpen the serrated side, you could use the edge of the dc3.
Mine is the older leatherman not a wave, so don't know if there's a difference in the blades.

Rob

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are various special sharpening rods that are for sharpening serrated edges. DMT does a range of tapered diamond coated rods
DMT%20Diafold%20tn.jpg

and Spyderco have both their Sharp Maker triangular section rods and a pack of slip stones they also have a small wallet of ceramic slip stones.

Lansky do three little stones, cheap, two of which are sized for specific manufacturer's serration patterns, not sure whether Leatherman is close enough to Spyderco or Cold Steel for the same stone to work for you. Check out http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/knife-and-tool-sharpeners?p=1 for ideas

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
No need to touch the serrations, unless completely knackered. A light hone on the opposite, flat side of the serrated blade, keeping it flat on the stone or abrasive of choice, will refresh the edge nicely.

It's the same idea as sharpening the saw blades on saks and similar (leathermen too), where you don't touch the pointy bits, just lightly hone the flat sides, works a treat.

Cheers, Paul

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The only problem with sharpening it on the back alone is that edges always get sharper when you can hit both sides of the bevel. You can make it sharper by honing the back, but not as sharp as honing both sides, and sooner or later you will wish you could touch up the serrated side. I might not want to spend £30 on a dedicated sharpener, but those Lanskys are under £7 and a rod for the Sharpmaker is about £12, which I think is pretty good for something that can be used for the flats and the serrations, and maybe other tools too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE