Leatherman Surge - or maybe Wave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
For some reason just lately I've had a fancying for a Leatherman Surge. I've got a couple of multitools lying around but fancy a high quality heavyweight. Some time back I was given a Wingman which initially I was not at all fussed about, however as time has gone on I've found myself using it more and more and have really grown to like it. The Surge however is a tool in a whole different league.

Does anyone out there own a Surge? If so, how do you find it? Is it a good tool to use? There are some stories that they are not as well made as they once were, so if you have recently bought one I would interested to hear your views.

Also has anyone got both the Surge and Wave out there that can give me a fair opinion of the comparison between the two? If so I would be keen to hear your views.

Thanks

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
I can't comment on the wave or the surge but I've got the charge titanium. 1 of the best pieces of kit I own,tough , hard wearing and the build quality is ace. They don't look too dissimilar, so I don't think you will disappointed which 1 u choose.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a Surge that is about 2, possibly 3 years old - heavyweight certainly is one way of describing it!

The others I have - Gerber Archer & Legend 800, Leatherman PST (I think!) and a SwisstoolX - The Surge being the biggest!
I like the option of plain or serrated blades on one tool and the interlock between blades and pliers. I got a set that included a pouch and tool-bit set - which are OK but somehow feel "delicate" but they have stood up to everything so far, but I'd like to have an option to have an extension coupler for it to be truly awesome, but I'll make that myself. The pouch has space for two extra saw blades which results in a really good woodland tool kit.
The one minor criticism of it is that the blade locks can be a bit fiddly in cold weather but thats about it.
The only repair I have had to make is the slim hex tool retainer wire - which dropped out at some point unknown to me - but it was an easy fix - even though I could have sent it for replacement.

Its a beast of a tool that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

ATB

Ogri the trog

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
I carry a surge every day its an awesome tool, as far as i know its the only one that you can remove the diamond file and actually sharpen the blade whilst out in the field. and you can put in any jigsaw blade that you feel like which opens up options. i had a wave and traded it on, ive had mine around 7 years so not sure what new ones are like but leathermans gaurantee is second to none. i recently sent back a supertool ny on 20 years old and they just replaced it, go for it

Jackdaw

I have a Leatherman Blast in black. It's a fantastic tool and has seen lots of abuse over the years. Whatever you go for they are worth it. Just look out for a good deal before parting with your cash. Mine was $36 dollars from a PX!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I am on my second surge, one of the lads at work used my first as a crowbar and wrecked it. I wouldn't go to work without it. I also have the supertool 300 and rarely use it. WHY? Simples, the surge blades can be opened and closed with one hand wheras the supertool has to be opened to access the blades. Also the surge can be opened one handed like a butterfly knife to use the pliers for lifting hot pans etc, it's amazing!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I am on my second surge, one of the lads at work used my first as a crowbar and wrecked it. I wouldn't go to work without it. I also have the supertool 300 and rarely use it. WHY? Simples, the surge blades can be opened and closed with one hand wheras the supertool has to be opened to access the blades. Also the surge can be opened one handed like a butterfly knife to use the pliers for lifting hot pans etc, it's amazing!

Thank you - and clearly you have not found any reduction in quality in the seven years between getting the first and replacement ones which makes me even more confident about the purchase - cheers.

bloobeetle

Sep 30, 2012
tattershall, lincs
i've had a wave, although a good tool i always stick with my leatherman supertool. its tough and simple with good blades and cutters. i've had a few other leathermans to but always go back to my supertool..... a buddy of mine had one of the gerber T2's. i used it once and it broke, so out came the ST and did the job!

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
I have a wave and it never leaves my side at all, carried leathermans for years and i feel naked without one. The Wave gets my vote.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I've had a Leatherman Charge for a good few years now. On the plus side, it's a very good quality tool, extremely robust, all the individual tools are nicely designed and well made. However, on the down side (for me anyway) I find the whole thing a bit too bulky and heavy. The pliers are not spring loaded, which would have been a nice touch (and not asking too much given the price). Moreover, I have found (and I k ow I'm not the only one) that it is all to easy to pinch your hand or thump between the handles when using the pliers as the way the two blades in the handle are situated narrows the gap when the pliers are closed. This is actually a real problem as you then don't feel too confident using them.

If you need a tool this heavy and robust then it's probably the best one out there, but personally I'm thinking of trying to sell mine and downgrade !

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Looks like the surge is getting a lot of support, the wave is a great tool not quite as robust as the surge but for me it covers my needs. Claus Olson currently are selling the new wave at £69 which is a good £10 cheaper than any one else I could

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I have the surge and the wave. The surge is a heavy duty tool that I carry every day at work. I bought the wave first and carried it, it served my needs but I wanted to get some thing a little bigger. Something with a full size pliers. The surge is heavier so you have to think what do I want to use it for. If I am not at work I sometimes carry the wave as a just in case tool. The liner lock on one of the blades broke on the surge, I was passing the Leatherman main distributor (Peterson, http://www.peterson.ie/brands/about-us.html ,in Ireland ) and they replaced it straight away.
A point to note is that on the surge when the pliers is open there are two little pins that come out to lock the blades in the closed position just above the liner lock.
There is a very good scissors on the surge and the fact that you can interchange the saw, file with any bayonet fitting jigsaw blades is a plus.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Great thread- I've been considering a Leatherman or Gerber for a while! The surge has got some good reviews on here so far. Having just looked on their website the Super Tool 300 looks tempting too!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I dont own either of the 2 Leathermans, but I've owned a Leaterman Kick for a few years and it's perfect for me. Solid pliers, decent blade and a couple of screwdrivers, the only downside is the bottle opener which is rubbish.

I have been thinking about getting a Wave though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE