Leatherman "Skeletool"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
LEATHERMAN "SKELETOOL"

ic7jtl.jpg

I know that a good multi-tool is well worth having as not only does it help with numerous tasks when out and about but also comes in handy for those odd jobs around the house. It has to be of lasting quality and something you wouldn’t want to leave the house without.

SPECS
1. 4 in | 10 cm (closed)
2. 5.0 oz | 142 g
3. 2.6 | 6.6cm Blade length

FEATURES
1. Stainless Steel with 6061-T6 Aluminum Handle Insert
2. Stainless Steel body
3. Outside-accessible Blade for One-handed Opening
4. All Locking Blades and Tools
5. Removable Pocket clip
6. 25-year Warranty
7. Nylon Belt Pouch
8. Free Laser Engraving/personalisation

TOOLS
1. 420HC Stainless Steel Clip-point Knife
2. Needle nose Pliers
3. Regular Pliers
4. Wire Cutters
5. Hard-wire Cutters
6. Large Bit Driver
7. Bottle Opener
8. Carabiner Clip
9. INCLUDED BITS: Phillips #1 and #2 Bit, Screwdriver 3/16" and 1/4" Bit

RRP: £69.95
Distributors: Whitby & co

4kic6h.jpg

The overall feel of this tool is light yet sturdy. It fits comfortably in the hand with each position needed for the different uses. All of the tools have a secure locking mechanism and open/close easily.

The pocket clip is a bit thin for my liking and doesn’t sit well when carried by it. You can choose to remove it if you want to. The carbiner on the other hand clips on with ease and feels more than secure and doesn’t get in the way when hanging from a belt loop or from a back pack. The nylon sheath that comes with it is by far the most comfortable and secure way of carrying the tool. It allows easy and quick access when carried on the belt.

The blade which is 420 high carbon stainless steel has a clip point and holds an excellent edge that sharpens up quickly with just a strop. The fact that you can use the blade without having to open the tool up is a superb feature which is added to by the thumb hole for one handed opening. It can handle heavy use such as splitting/shaping wood, skinning, boning, boring holes, as well as finer work.

30dbj9e.jpg
9hmb5z.jpg

The combination pliers, (needle nose, regular and wire cutters), proved to be a great boon, handling all the jobs I kept finding for them. With previous multi tools I found that the grip on the pliers “Mashed” after a couple of uses but not so with this tool and the cutters are still slicing with ease.

2n7e494.jpg
ifrhon.jpg

(Re-nocking and re-fletching an arrow.)

343i6af.jpg
9fzn2s.jpg

(Using the wire cutters to re-wire a spot lamp.)

The Screwdriver has a changeable locking clip allowing you to swap the bits over easily. I found using the driver excellent as long as the screw wasn’t in a real tight position.

5k2csy.jpg
2rqdf6q.jpg

(Fixing down the head of the hoe, adding another door lock.)

After 2 weeks fairly heavy work the finish to the heads are a bit scuffed but they have not “squashed” showing they are of good material. The extra bit holder I don’t think is secure enough as I found the spare bit in my pocket a few times, although when carried in the pouch I didn’t have that trouble.

b5s00g.jpg
es9uex.jpg

(2 Weeks later and the condition of the bit heads and grip on the pliers are still excellent.)

The multi tools I've had in the past have been nothing to write home about. In a very short period of time something has either rattled lose, snapped etc. I even had one that completely fell apart in my pocket but I have found the Skeletool to be versatile, robust, easy to use and above all reliable.

The “Skeletool” from Leatherman is the perfect companion for those wishing for a tool that is fast and easy to use. It is more than just a knife and has the added advantage of having none of the weight and bulk of a normal multi tool. The free laser engraving makes it a great personalized item. With the 25 year warranty it is an investment and one well worth it in my opinion.

If your interested in buying shop arround for a good price on the internet, I've seen it selling for almost half the rrp.

29yfe8.jpg

CBJ

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Nice review CBJ.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago from Amazon for £38 delivered.

Got to say, very nice tool indeed. Feels good quality, not too heavy and smaller than I thought it would be (a bonus for me at least). The blade was pretty sharp out of the box and as said above the pliers / wire cutters are very good.

The only negative for me is that the screwdriver isnt the most comfortable to use, its a bit awkward. I guess as an emergency screwdriver its absolutely fine but not as comfy to use as say a SAK for example (IMO).

Regards, Jon.

Thanks for the review CBJ

Can you Clarify something for me...
...you said in your intro that a multi tool needed to be "...something you wouldn't want to leave the house without.", which I'd agree with, and in "Features" you say it has "all locking blades and tools".

Does the knife blade lock in the open position?
I've never bothered with a multi-tool so far, but this looks like something I'd carry - so long as it was legal for everyday carry.

So, locking blade or not? Your answer could either save or cost me about £40. :p

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the review CBJ

Can you Clarify something for me...
...you said in your intro that a multi tool needed to be "...something you wouldn't want to leave the house without.", which I'd agree with, and in "Features" you say it has "all locking blades and tools".

Does the knife blade lock in the open position?
I've never bothered with a multi-tool so far, but this looks like something I'd carry - so long as it was legal for everyday carry.

So, locking blade or not? Your answer could either save or cost me about £40. :p

Hi BigShot

Glad you liked the review.

The blade fully locks into position and is on the out side so you dont have to open the tool up to get at it. It is very secure when open and you have to push the lockbar down to fold the blade back into the handle.

CBJ

Thanks for that CBJ.
You just saved me £40ish.

I'd have thought about getting one if it was suitable as a legal EDC, but locking blades are a no-no without "good reason" (silly, but there you have it - I wish it wasn't the case).

Nice looking tool and again, nice review.

Cheers.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I carry one of these at work fixing airplanes and I love it. I use everything on it almost every day. The only thing it doesn't have that I need occasionally is a can opener, but I got a P-38 for that.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Shame that the UK has this pathetic, totally draconian law about 'locking blade' and as well, coupled with a serious case of the worlds most stupid and target driven Police we are in a tight spot.

Multi tools are illegal carry you know!

Great review though, and I will say that if I didn't own the Leatherman wave I would get one.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
+1 for the Skeletool. I have the CX version which is the black DLC edition with some carbon fiber built into it's design and it also has the 154CM knife blade. Excellent bit o' kit.

On the legality issue ... I know Leatherman has a UK division that I would guess would have had to have dealt with the locking blade issue as part of their marketing strategy. It might be worth a call to see if they have a work around that they've come up with so that their consumers can take advantage of their products without breaking the law.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I have to give the Skeletool a thumbs down. Mine broke at the plierheads the day after i got it, sent it back to Leatherman USA and because of our strict knifelaws (im in Denmark) i got back a knifeless Fuse. Worst deal of my life....

But i suspect that it was mine that was a lemon and not Skeletool's in general...

On the other hand ive got both a Juice CS4 and a Charge Ti and i cant speak highly enough of them both. I never leave home without my Charge in my backpack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE