leatherman or something like it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi all, i have a leatherman supertool from about 15 odd years ago. having been carried every day for that time its a little the worse for wear and the hinge is loose. does anyone have advice on how to tighten it?

as a second point the only thing i dont like about it is that it has knife blades, i always have an opinel 8 on me and i hate serated blades. does anoyone know of a pliers multi tool that has the saw and file and no blades or only one blade. the parts i use a lot are the mini flat driver for my glasses, all the larger drivers most days, the saw and file, bodkin (i would like one with the eye hole for threading etc and of cours pliers and wire cutters. in fact all the things on the supertool apart from the knives.

i did email leatherman to ask if they would make up a custom tool but so far no reply, same with gerber. advice and thoughts much appreciated.

Dave

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Im pretty sure on the gerber website yo can specify your own tools. I think its US only though so you may have to order from there.

I can vouch for gerber tools as i have carried the same one for over 8 years and its still looks like its allmost new. It has traveled the world with me and been very well used but also very well looked after ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gerber tools can be dismantled, I swapped some blades between and Archer model and a Ledgend800. I'm not sure about the older Leatherman tools but I think the later ones can be modified. It would probably mean that you end up with a dupilcate screwdriver etc so might spoil the whole package, just to become more sheeple friendly.
I would be very wary of going through the effort of modification if there is ANY doubt about having any tool viewed as a potential weapon - if screwdivers can be labelled then there would be little difference, in a modified, non-bladed pocket tool.
As to tightening the rivet in your existing Leatherman, put it on an anvil (or other sturdy surface) and give the rivet a tap with a hammer and see how it feels - don't whack it only to find that its gone too tight.
ATB

Ogri the trog

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
If your leatherman is loose,broken or not working as it should, take it back to any leatherman retailer (camping shops,outdoor shops) and they will send it for repair.
The guarantee on these is second to none, I have had mine about 15 years and during that time I have had to send it back 3 times for broken bits and slackness in the pliars, and every time I have had a replacement while mine was away and every time Leatherman have replaced the whole thing with a brand new one.
So take it into a Leatherman shop and get them to sort it out and you will almost certainly get a new one.
Good luck..
(have fun, shoot a stick)

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Leatherman do a knifeless version of the fuse.

SOG multitools are designed to be customised and the parts are pretty cheap. New blades and tools cost a few quid each. The customer service is excellent.

Mark

thanks for the replies, stickbow, i did not know they would still repaire one. i will be in norwich in a few weeks and their website said Blacks is a leatherman dealer so i will try there. i like the look of the sog and have not seen them before. if there is a chance to fix my old one i think i will take that, you do get fond of stuff you carry for a longtime. like some kind of juju.

thanks all.

Dave

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
A second vote for the leatherman warranty i had a knackered cs4 juice thing which i have used travelling for the last few years had , twisted pliers broken saw , twisted screwdriver, broken backspring you name it. took it into a camping shop here in wellington on wednesday , had a brand new one in my sweaty paws by friday.! :)
chuffed you bet - bravo!!

take it into any leatherman shop tell them you are passing through and in a hurry and you will have 48hrs turnaround, its not worth them repairing them so you will get a new/recon one

Cheers

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE