Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
I am in the process of making my first knife, and have got to the point of making a sheath. I have lots of questions, so please bear with me. I roughed out a design the other day, and have worked out that I need about 1 square foot for both that and an axe sheath. From what I have read, I think I need 8oz veg tanned tooling leather, but does anyone recommend anything different? Also, should I get leather, make the sheath and then dye it, or buy leather already dyed? Once I know what I need, is there anywhere I can buy just 1 square foot of it, because I don't need a whole hide, preferably online or here in Surrey somewhere. Thanks in advance.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
When I made my sheath I bought 4mm veg tanned from evil bay. Cut it out, made a welt, drilled and stitched. I then wet formed it with my cling film covered knife. Then dyed it with dark brown dylon leather dye from timpsons. But I hasten to add I am a complete novice with leather, and would strongly suggest you wait one of this forums leather genius to advise you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE