Leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Hi today marked the day where both my partner and myself became proud owners of a couple of mirror sighting compasses, to have in our possession a Suunto MC-2 and a Recta DS-50 G, ( a badge engineered Suunto MC-2G), to have decided we would like to make a couple of leather compass cases for them, to really aside from the ability to sew stuff together not have much clue as to what sort of leather we should purchase to make these cases, to need to ask of you fine folk here;

What sort of leather would you recommend to make a compass case from and what sort of thickness should we be looking at ?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Go veg tan and anything from 1.5mm to 3 mm will be fine depending on the style of case you want to make.

If you want some simple patterns these are easy to make for beginners and there's a video tutorial on how to make them as well. Don't worry about using a punch if you don't have a suitable sized one as that can be swapped for a drill or awl

Last edited:

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Go veg tan and anything from 1.5mm to 3 mm will be fine depending on the style of case you want to make.

If you want some simple patterns these are easy to make for beginners and there's a video tutorial on how to make them as well. Don't worry about using a punch if you don't have a suitable sized one as that can be swapped for a drill or awl

Yes patterns I am aware I will have to make where given I have a good spatial awareness to be able to take things apart in my mind to know how I would make them, I am aware of what pattern is ideal for this project to conclude three pieces of leather, where what 'ironmongery', I have decided on brass 'sam brown' studs, primarily because I know the problems with press studs, but other; no ferrous metal and intrigue as I have no experience of these fixings, to need to experience.. To have thought to create a model of the compass dimensions out of MDF to ascertain sizing. Of which would be new for me, as the last time I did leather work ( mid nineties) it was draw around my foot and extend in the making of a pair iron age shoes from a drawing an archaeologist friend copied from an Irish bog body.

But thank you for describing 'what leather '

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
i hope no one minds if i resurrect this thread for a related question.

i'm getting back into a bit of leatherwork after many years away. as it happens this will be my first time buying leather here in the UK and i'm wondering what price one can expect to pay for decent quality 2.8-3.2mm veg tanned.

some of my projects are on the larger side -- sheath for a billhook for instance, same for a large bowie knife and an arborist's saw, maybe a rucksack if things go well -- so i'm looking at at least a half if not a double back or full. so far i'm seeing prices from £4-10 psf and that's got me wondering what "normal" is.

any guidance would be appreciated. ditto for recommended suppliers if that's allowed.

thank you.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
i hope no one minds if i resurrect this thread for a related question.

i'm getting back into a bit of leatherwork after many years away. as it happens this will be my first time buying leather here in the UK and i'm wondering what price one can expect to pay for decent quality 2.8-3.2mm veg tanned.

some of my projects are on the larger side -- sheath for a billhook for instance, same for a large bowie knife and an arborist's saw, maybe a rucksack if things go well -- so i'm looking at at least a half if not a double back or full. so far i'm seeing prices from £4-10 psf and that's got me wondering what "normal" is.

any guidance would be appreciated. ditto for recommended suppliers if that's allowed.

thank you.

Hi,

Le Prevo sell natural veg tanned shoulders at £5.30 for 2 - 2.5mm and £5.87 for 3 - 3.5mm

It's an awful site to buy from but I've always had good service from them.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Heres a list of all the UK Based ones I know of, hope this is of use.
Not my list, its a collective of what people know and has been put in one place.
Edit: added couple more from my own fav's list didnt notice wasnt on the list.

A & A CRACK & SONS LTD www.aacrack.com
A W MIDGLEY & SON LTD www.awmidgley.co.uk
ABBY ENGLAND www.abbyengland.com
ARTISAN LEATHER www.artisanleather.co.
FLETCHER www.fletcherhandmade.co.
GH LEATHERS www.leathermerchants.com
IDENTITY LEATHERCRAFT www.identityleathercraft.com
J. WOOD LEATHER LTD www.jwoodleathers.co.uk
LE PREVO www.leprevo.co.uk
LEATHER4CRAFT www.leathercraft.co.uk
LEATHER HIDE www.leather-hide.co.uk
LEATHER SHOP www.theleathersho0pmatlock.co.uk
LYONS LEATHERS http://www.lyonleathers.co.uk
MAJESTIC HIDES www.majestichides.co.uk
METROPOLITAN LEATHER www.metropolitanleather.com
PINCHMILL LEATHERS https://www.pinchmillleathers.co.uk/
THOMAS WARE AND SONS LTD. https://thomasware.co.uk/
TUSTING & BURNETT www.tustingandburnett.com

Last edited:

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Not my list, its a collective of what people know and has been put in one place, Ive only used a couple, and not necessarily for leather, Ive purchased a few of tools from Abbey of England & Artisan Leather so far and J.Woods & Tusting & Burnett for leather.
Friends have used Le Prevo & Lyons Leathers we have had no issues with any store used.

Last edited:
Reactions: packalot

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
well, it's a very helpful list whatever it's origin. i had done a fair amount of research on my own and had only come up with a few names on that list. good to have alternatives for next time.

fwiw, i recently ordered from GH Leathers. they had good prices on what i was looking for, delivery was quite prompt. overall i'm very satisfied.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE