Leather?

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

Silverclaws2

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Hi today marked the day where both my partner and myself became proud owners of a couple of mirror sighting compasses, to have in our possession a Suunto MC-2 and a Recta DS-50 G, ( a badge engineered Suunto MC-2G), to have decided we would like to make a couple of leather compass cases for them, to really aside from the ability to sew stuff together not have much clue as to what sort of leather we should purchase to make these cases, to need to ask of you fine folk here;

What sort of leather would you recommend to make a compass case from and what sort of thickness should we be looking at ?

Mesquite

Anyone for sailing?
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Go veg tan and anything from 1.5mm to 3 mm will be fine depending on the style of case you want to make.

If you want some simple patterns these are easy to make for beginners and there's a video tutorial on how to make them as well. Don't worry about using a punch if you don't have a suitable sized one as that can be swapped for a drill or awl

Last edited:

Silverclaws2

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Go veg tan and anything from 1.5mm to 3 mm will be fine depending on the style of case you want to make.

If you want some simple patterns these are easy to make for beginners and there's a video tutorial on how to make them as well. Don't worry about using a punch if you don't have a suitable sized one as that can be swapped for a drill or awl
Yes patterns I am aware I will have to make where given I have a good spatial awareness to be able to take things apart in my mind to know how I would make them, I am aware of what pattern is ideal for this project to conclude three pieces of leather, where what 'ironmongery', I have decided on brass 'sam brown' studs, primarily because I know the problems with press studs, but other; no ferrous metal and intrigue as I have no experience of these fixings, to need to experience.. To have thought to create a model of the compass dimensions out of MDF to ascertain sizing. Of which would be new for me, as the last time I did leather work ( mid nineties) it was draw around my foot and extend in the making of a pair iron age shoes from a drawing an archaeologist friend copied from an Irish bog body.

But thank you for describing 'what leather '