Leather Working Tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Does anyone know of a good UK site to buy the basic tools to start some leather work, I'm not after anything fancy for the moment, probably just an awl, some needles and some decent linen thread. Can anyone think of anything else I'd need?

Also what type of Awl do I need, same for size of needles and type of thread.

Whats best for dying leather work to give a fairly natural look whilst protecting the leather.

Cheers

Matt

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Mmmm.... love working in leather, but I find it pretty expensive... :cry: :)
An awl is very useful. I'm thinking of getting this one! :biggthump Only 2,5£

But a UK store could be this one. Here you can buy a some kits and a book on the subject.

Another store could be this one. :wink:

Good luck! :biggthump

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers Simon, that looks like its just the ticket.

Found those 2 sites quite quick on a google search Andy, trouble is the first ones ordering system is a bit dubious (as in fill in the form) and the second one only sells the tools, not the the thread etc, thanks anyway.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Lithril said:
Also what type of Awl do I need, same for size of needles and type of thread.
Bear thread is VERY strong. I'm not strong enough to tear it apart with my hands, but maybe because i'm weak- :lol: :lol:
It comes normally in 200 m. rolls and the colors is white, brown or black. I use black. It's made of 100% polyester. :wink:

Highly recommended, as it holds several pounds. :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Lithril: forgot to say that I find a curved needle very handy. I use it more than normal straight ones. If you buy normal straight ones, I think it's best to buy the ones with triangular points. They're very sharp. :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A decent punch is always handy.

A few off-the-wall places to look would be stables, horse stables often have a tack shop that sell a lot of leather working tools and treatments.

When you're out and about, you may see some people on horses, just ask and they'll be able to point you to the nearest one. and they're usually in the country side so you don't need to mail order.

Also, lame "back street hero" type biker magazines often have a lot leather stuff.

I hope this helps

Joe

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Pearce Tandy are based in Northampton and have been around for some time. Some of the guys I used to shoot pistols with made thier own holsters with leather from there 20-25 years ago !

I've bought a few things from them, good service, next day delivery (normally) and helpfull staff.

The only problem is the website is really bad. I got them to send a catalogue with my first order so now I know what they stock.

Loads of needles, thread, hides (with or without hair), sinew, shedloads of handtools, hardware like d-rings and clips and kits that you build yourself.

The phone number is 01604 407177

Give them a call, I'm sure they will be able to help.

Cheers

Mark

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Argh... I took one of my spare Pearce-Tandy catalogues along to the meet and forgot to offer it up! Ooops. Sorry...

They offer a hand stitching kit that has everthing you need to get started. Including the Al Stohlman book on sewing leather.

Alternatively, give me a shout.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Shout !! :wave:

but seriously :eek:):

Peter,

as a slightly more practiced leather person than myself. I've got my eye on a side of 9 - 10 oz latigo in burgundy, for sheath making and belt making. Would you recommend this or should i go for tooling leather and colour after shaping?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Latigo is a fairly oily leather from what I've been told, as it is stuffed after the tanning & dyeing. I'm also not sure that it isn't a chrome-tanning process, which you don't want anywhere near steel...

The belts Julian & I were wearing at the weekend were some I'd made out of pre-dyed splits from Le Prevo (NB - their prices are ex-VAT). It is good solid stuff, but better suited to purely utilitarian things than anything smart IMO. Veg tan is also much easier to work than the splits.

I'm sticking with 7-9Oz tooling leather for most of my stuff, personally.

Now I need to work out what I want to do with the croc skin I've got!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Don't worry about Hijacking the thread, thats why I started, to get a grips on what tools I need and learn a bit in the process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE