Leather Working Course With Hamish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Machiavelli

May 21, 2009
Good Ole' Lancashire
[FONT=&amp]Hello everyone,

In October I had the pleasure of attending a three day leather working course with Hamish (Dreadhead) off the forum. I drove up from Manchester to Dumfries on the Friday morning. It was a beautiful day for the drive, especially as I headed north of Penrith and the roads became quieter. Having never done any leatherwork before, I was really looking forward to the experience.

After arriving at Hamish’s and having a brew we cracked straight on. I was really keen to make a sporran, so Hamish showed me a couple of designs for inspiration, but left all the decisions on colour and style to me. Day one was really busy: I cut out all the leather pieces; inserted the grooves; burnished the edges; carved in my designs and dyed the leather using an airbrush. After a really good first day getting everything ready for stitching, I headed over to the Holiday Inn in Dumfries and proceeded to watch hours of leather working videos in YouTube – I had already got the bug!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Saturday dawned sunny (I thought it always rained in Scotland!) and I headed over to Hamish’s to start stitching. If I’m honest the stitching was the bit I was dreading most. I was never good at sewing and had heard plenty of horror stories about bloody fingers when stitching leather. Hamish ran through the saddle stich, which I found surprising easy to master – though that’s probably more testament to Hamish’s teaching, rather than my ability. The day was whiled away punching holes and stitching leather, while watching bushcraft and knife making shows in the background – a truly enjoyable way to spend a Saturday.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Sunday was the last day of my course. After storming through the stitching on the Saturday I was ready to add the detail. Hamish gave me the option to add decorative lace around the carving, which I decided I definitely wanted to have a go at. I really enjoyed the lacing, though it was nerve-wracking punching the holes, especially as I didn’t want to accidentally ruin my nearly finished sporran. Fortunately everything went to plan and I was soon adding the finishing touches, including reindeer antler toggles!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
I have to say I had an absolutely fantastic time with Hamish and would thoroughly recommend him as a VERY patient teacher. I will be heading back up soon for a dedicated sheath making course!

Thanks again Hamish.

[/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE