Leather work. My first belt, will it soften up? It's marking/ cracking easily. (Pics)

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi I've just got into leather work and have made this belt and matching sheath:

PB250008.jpg

It's gone well except the belt is rather stiff and is marked, creased and cracks easily when folded and by the buckle. Will it relax and soften up?
It's Veg Tanned leather. I have dyed it. I am comparing it to a very well worn years old leather belt, is that my problem? Ha.

Would Carnauba cream help?
Thanks.

You try rubbing neatsfoot oil into the reverse side, but test it on some scrap leather first, as it will darken the the colour. It will certainly soften the leather, although you might need to use several applications, letting it soak in and dry between each.

Hth

Nice work, btw :)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
you need neatsfoot oil, don't put olive oil on, i have not tried it but, it may go off, as it can do this on wood.
hope that helps mate.
trake care
lee.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
How have you finished the belt? I.e. what have you put on it?

Did you thin down the end that goes around the buckle? It also helps to dampen this bit before you fold it around the buckle, in order to reduce the chance of cracking.

I normally dampen the belt then apply the dye, as this tends to help produce an even finish (certainly for the spirit based dyes). I then give it a good rubbing to remove excess dye and I tend to finish my belts with Carnauba cream on the outside (a couple of coats) as, although this does darken the finish, its the finish that seems to give the least darkening. I'd normally give the inside of my belts a coat of Leathersheen, mainly as a sealer, though I've also used Carnauba cream.

The belt will start rather stiff, but should normally soften up with use (after a few months wear).

Geoff

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That's not bad at all & I like the buckle..................Personally I prefer stiffer belts especially if I want to attach other leather things to them like a sheath..
Veg- tanned leather will crease ( collar & butt particually) if you bend it backwards but doesn't normally crack....if the derm of the grain surface actually splits then the quality of the leather is questionable & no amount of product application will cure it......if however the surface is merely creased ( & stays creased even when flat) then that's perfectly normal.
I don't apply animal fats to any leather product, they can over soften it, damage the fibres in the long term,,( & any stitching) encourage mould & leave the leather looking dull & lifeless........I think waxes are the best & my belts get a brush with shoe polish from time to time...... what ever you do no vegetable oils.....

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Wow thanks everyone. Very helpful. I stand corrected, it's not cracked, just creased. The buckle fold had a groove cut out from inside the fold and that's gone great.
I've given it some work in my hands and it's softening up well already! All the best.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
That's not bad at all & I like the buckle..................Personally I prefer stiffer belts especially if I want to attach other leather things to them like a sheath..
Veg- tanned leather will crease ( collar & butt particually) if you bend it backwards but doesn't normally crack....if the derm of the grain surface actually splits then the quality of the leather is questionable & no amount of product application will cure it......if however the surface is merely creased ( & stays creased even when flat) then that's perfectly normal.
I don't apply animal fats to any leather product, they can over soften it, damage the fibres in the long term,,( & any stitching) encourage mould & leave the leather looking dull & lifeless........I think waxes are the best & my belts get a brush with shoe polish from time to time...... what ever you do no vegetable oils.....
great bit of advice, thats what the olive oil will do incourage mold, i could just not fine the right words to explqain it, and the belt will just get better and better the more you use it, and the look will just get better and better.
take care.
lee.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
As I said earlier, the belt is dyed but not finished.
I wore it all day yesterday with some light coloured jeans (that are filthy work jeans) and when I took it off at night it's stained the waist band orange!?!

Is this becasue it's unfinished or becasue I wore it within a few hours of dyeing it? Will carnauba cream solve this for me do you think?

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE