Leather Tramp?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

I noticed that my BCUK descriptor had recently changed to ‘Leather Tramp’ (not sure how/when/why these change?) but how appropriately timed.

I’m not a trained/qualified leather worker but I do enjoy working with it and periodically knock something up. I have just finished the making of a knife sheath and a shark’s tooth saw pouch (on left of images 1&2) for one of our a***lings – copies of my own kit which I purchased a while back.

I’ve also almost completed the changeover from plastic/nylon to leather on most of my own field set now.

That’s my explanation for the leather bit – my better half says that she can confirm the ‘tramp’ aspect!

Sheaths 1.jpg Sheaths 2.jpg Sheaths 3.jpg :lmao:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice leather work :).

It's a title based on your post count, although I know the term from 'Into the Wild' well worth a watch/read.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I got confused with that too! Although through a bit of curiosity and work boredom internet digging apparently leather tramp is a reference to someone who walks alot, and rubber tramp is someone who drives. How true that is we may never know! Lovely leather work though man! Do you do commission work?

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I got confused with that too! Although through a bit of curiosity and work boredom internet digging apparently leather tramp is a reference to someone who walks alot, and rubber tramp is someone who drives. How true that is we may never know! Lovely leather work though man! Do you do commission work?

Aye, Tramping refers to lorry drivers, away from home for long periods.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Aaaarh - the post-count.

Is there a list of the titles somewhere then?

This is it more or less.

One or two might be out of order but it's all the names as far as I know.

Pioneer
Leather Tramp
Forager
Wanderer
Traveller
Expeditioner
Woodsman
Nomad
Wayfarer
Settler

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Thanks for the praise each.

Thanks for the list mesquite - that's interesting. 'Leather Tramp' still fits as I really do a lot of walking!

Mick91 - re - commissioning - interesting thought but I haven't as of yet.
I still have quite a few projects on my own kit that I would like to address - a belt pouch for my ESR kit for example, currently in a nylon version. (see image)
(Neither have I yet found a good source of quality leather at a price which wouldn't make the final price of a commissioned item reasonable!).:(

Perhaps by the time that I've done enough of my own stuff my standard of work will improve enough to give it some more thought but I would be conscious of not taking work away from some those in this community who might rely on the income, whereas I might not. :)

ESR(i).jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE