leather supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I live near Bournemouth and Poole. Does anybody know of any leather suppliers in Dorset or within easy reach? I'd like to make a belt pouch (possibly :) and a neck sheath. I've had a look with Google but not had much luck but I guess traditional industries like tannery don't necessarily mix with interwebbery.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi,

Also not very local, but there's a great shop in Northampton (and also in Matlock Bath) called 'the identity store'. They have a website, but they don't do online shopping, but you can order a mail order catalogue though which is excellent. They do everything - leather, rivets, poppers, buckles Etc. loads of tools and books. The shop is well worth a visit for anyone in the area.

http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/store/index.htm

I started with an excellent case making book that covers pouches, cases and sheaths. it shows you how to make the patterns, form the leather, stitch it and attach the hardware - it really is good, I'll dig out the name when I get home and post it here.

For my 2p worth, I would reconmend you get hold of this book (either from the identity store or somewhere else maybe), have a good read through it then work out what you need and then shell out on some materials and tools.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Used Le Prevo as suggested on the boards and found them to be quite excellent. slow to answer email queries but that is because they only download twice a day (so I was told)

Will post pics of my attempt at a sheath within a couple of days.

On their recommendation I got a 6" wide belt leather (4ft long?) for about £15
with some needles and thread it came to about £20 including delivery

Wishing I had bought an awl to create the stitching holes but my hand drill with a 1.5mm (might have been 1mm) drill bit did ok. the chopping board will never be quite the same again though :)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Big John said:
I started with an excellent case making book that covers pouches, cases and sheaths. it shows you how to make the patterns, form the leather, stitch it and attach the hardware - it really is good, I'll dig out the name when I get home and post it here.

Would that be Al Stohlman's, perchance?

FYI, most of Pearce-Tandy's stock (the Identity Store) is the same as http://www.tandyleather.com - which is handy when you're ordering without a catalogue in front of you :D

There's also Abbey Saddlery - http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/ - very good, but you need to register with them first.

http://www.bowstock.co.uk/ stock some leather & tools; any more for any more?

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
ESpy said:
Would that be Al Stohlman's, perchance?

It would - 'The ART of Making Leather Cases - Volume one' It doesn't appear to have an ISBN but there were a few places selling it from the quick google I did on the title - well worth the 15 quid or so. There is another one of his - 'The ART of Hand Sewing Leather' which is also quite handy.

I bought a piece of 7 - 8oz leather - good for making sheaths and small cases, about 20" by 20" as I remember for around £30 from the identity store.

I'll post a pic of my first knife shealth when I pull my finger out and take some!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Big John said:
It would - 'The ART of Making Leather Cases - Volume one' It doesn't appear to have an ISBN but there were a few places selling it from the quick google I did on the title - well worth the 15 quid or so. There is another one of his - 'The ART of Hand Sewing Leather' which is also quite handy.

Actually, I'd rate the Art of Hand Sewing essential reading! It comes as part of the basic hand sewing kit; I've upgraded about every tool in that now, but still use them as & when.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
ESpy said:
Actually, I'd rate the Art of Hand Sewing essential reading! It comes as part of the basic hand sewing kit; I've upgraded about every tool in that now, but still use them as & when.

Hi Peter - is The Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael worth getting? I was thinking of starting there.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Marts said:
They aren't exactly near you (Newcastle) but lots of people use the internet site of LE PROVO for leather supplies

I've ordered a half side from Le Prevo's clearance items. The lady advised it might be too thick for a belt pouch at 4.5 to 5mm but I said I'd have it anyway.

Thanks also everyone for the book references. I may well get one at some point although I have hole and pattern punches, scapels, line drawing tools, buckles and dyes from thirty :eek: years ago when I met and stayed with a bunch of peeps squatting in London, three of whom were leather craftsmen who sold from stalls in Camden Lock market. I learnt from them to make twisty bracelets, pouches and watch straps.

I haven't made anything since then but I should be able to figure out what I need to do. I'm staggered that there exists an entire book on the single subject of stitching leather but perhaps that's just my lack of imagination :(

leon-1

risby, the 4.5 -5mm half sides are too thick for pouches (I have a half side that size), but you will find other bits that you can make with it.

Le Prevo are always very helpfull on the phone and by e-mail, they will even send you information on how to dye leather if you are not familiar with it.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Marts said:
Hi Peter - is The Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael worth getting? I was thinking of starting there.

Yes, it's another excellent one. Valerie's book covers the whole sequence from start to finish, whereas the Hand Sewing book is focussed on stitching things - including awkward items. There's a number of projects in the Handbook, starting from fairly simple and building up to more complex items.

It has quite a good chunk on wetforming too... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE