Leather stitching tool....any good ?

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've never used only, but seen a few videos on youtube. They look ok, but you can do better by hand with a normal needle.

I just got normal needles and lurnt sadle stitch, or if using one needle, basicly the same, just go one way, turn round and go back.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i've not used one but i was once going to buy one from a guy on ebay who was selling them....and i think he decided to be honest with me because i'd already spent quite a bit with him....he said it was c*ap....lol....but as calgary says....maybe ok for light or beginners work.....but i doubt youll find many serious leathersmiths (especially thick leather sheath makers etc like here on bcuk) would use one, regards

a

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've got a very old one of these, but only used it once for repairing my daughter's Ugg boots.

It works a bit like a normal sewing machine, so doesn't do saddle stitch - i.e. if the thread breaks, then it's going to unravel. However, for thin leather and a fairly speedy job, it does combine needle and awl into one tool. Personally, though, I'd stick to hand sewing a saddle stitch.

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tried one, they're no where near as easy to use as they might appear and the results are not very good on leather, at least mine weren't.

I got the one I tried in a trade but it was essentially exactly the same.

I wouldn't bother if I were you, just stick to either a proper sewing machine for thin light stuff or a diamond awl, for everything else bar really heavy jobs.

cheers

Steve

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Not used one (use awl and needles). Those have (I think) the needle eye near to the end of the awl. Thread is on a spindle on the tool (useful as you can use long thread without it getting in a tangle) but you still have to feed a second thread through the loop of thread made by the awl/needle tool (reverse side of stitch). They are probably a personal preference ..

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
in a few words NOT GOOD has a special needle with a full grove to the eye so a pain if broken id save me money and not bother :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE