Leather sheath vs synthetic sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Which type of sheath is better leather or synthetic (from a totally functional point of view not what looks better etc) as I've heard leather ones will hold moisture which can speed up rust and deteriorate etc

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Leather can also hold oil and keep a knife in good nick, the other side of the coin as you said is it can also hold moisture, personally I'd go for leather with a drain hole so water can't build up and spray the sheath periodically with WD40 or the like.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Don't really think either is better.......

That said, if I wanted safety and a secure hold of the knife then kydex (if that's what you mean by synthetic) is awesome for that, and I personally love kydex sheaths and use them on most of my synthetic handled knives, I do this also because it looks less out of place with these.

But, to be honest I like the aesthetics of a nice leather sheath and most of my favoured using knives and all of my wooden/natural handled knives are sat in leather.
(Can't think of owt worse than a nice puukko or similar choked up in digi-camo kydex pants!)

In the unlikely event of being made to chose then I would go for leather, 'cos I'm a tart like that!:lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't really think either is better.......

That said, if I wanted safety and a secure hold of the knife then kydex (if that's what you mean by synthetic)....

I could be wrong but I think he means the ones sewn from thick synthetic webbing. They're very good and rot resistant themselves, unlike leather. For an extended period in the tropics they're the only thing I'd consider TBH but good leather will work also.

But regardless of which you choose (leather or synthetic) there are both good quality ones and poor quality ones.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly kydex (like hard plastic) has its place. Its not pretty and can scratch the knife, but its rot proof, secure and can be bunged through a dishwasher if gunky. In a very wet or humid environment it makes sense along with a stainless blade and synthetic handle.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have a mora 711 G with a plastic sheath that I take when I go sailing or salt water fishing. I even swim in the sea with it.
Just unbeatable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE