leather sheath. nae stitches or rivets required

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i recently posted up this wee guide i found: http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knifesheath.html

decided tae knock one up for my new sgian dubh

imag0334v.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2011-12-18

imag0335ye.jpg

imag0336u.jpg

handy thing incase a sheath is damaged when out & about. may try it with birk bark at somepoint

cheers. Hamish

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
nah nae welt but the folds sort of keep the blade fae going anywhere if you make it tight enough. im sure it could be folded in a way tae accommodate a welt though
i see, maybe a peice of leather could be glued to the one side, so as when you close it, you have the welt to.
as there will be peices of exposed blade, and that would worry me.
its a great desighn and could be adapted in a few ways.
take care mate, and keep up the good work.

Dreadhead

thanks. i think its basically a template for an emergency sheath for out in the bush in which case glue would be last of my worries. im sure the design could just be bigger allowing the leather tae wrap around the blade more than once etc tae protect the edge more.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you imagine that the last edge is actually a fold and cut the half shape of the plain unslit side again, it works to give a more protective edge.

As it is it works very well indeed, with the open edge allowing the blade to slip in without cutting anything.
Thing is too.........absolutely no sewing or struggling to make it fit.
It's no where near as solid or robust as a sewn, welted, sheath, but it does very well and is surprisingly long lasting made from bark :cool:
It is also very effective made from cardboard :D It's a good way to wrap a knife to post it if no sheath is available.

cheers,
M

Dreadhead

If you imagine that the last edge is actually a fold and cut the half shape of the plain unslit side again, it works to give a more protective edge.

As it is it works very well indeed, with the open edge allowing the blade to slip in without cutting anything.
It's no where near as solid or robust as a sewn, welted, sheath, but it does very well and is surprisingly long lasting made from bark :cool:
It is also very effective made from cardboard :D It's a good way to wrap a knife to post it if no sheath is available.

cheers,
M

bang on. exactly fit i was thinking. twas just a temporary sheath until i made the one on the right as the knife is razor sharp and iv managed tae stab myself in the leg and nearly cut a toe off with my dirk in the past year due tae a crap sheath! shall be my next project i think :D

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

cheers,
M
never thought of that Mary, as for posting a knife when there is no sheath involved, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
and also if you are out in the woods and you have no glue and that, hamish, thats fantastic, i never thought of that neither, i can now see, why the sheath was desighned.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE