leather sheath for a stu mitchell bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I was commisioned to make a leather sheath for a stu mitchell bushcrafter, he wanted a multicarry system, with a dc3 holder and a fire steel holder.
he wanted the dangler on this one to be sowed on rather than the verticl adapter strap, so that he can just take this off when wearing as a cross draw.
he wanted this black, with sam brown stud closure.
hope you like it.

001 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

002 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

003 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

004 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

008 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

a leather multicarry system that i have made, for a stu mitchell damascus bushcrafter. by lucky_lee, on Flickr

012 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

011 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

014 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all comments are welcome.
take care.
lee.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Nice Lee, tidy, no reflection on your bit but the part I don't (slightly) get is the fire steel, the knife won't work one, I'm sure the commissioner had his reasons though...

why not ? ? ??

The spine of the knife is normally used to strike a spark, and you need the spine to have sharp corners (or at least one of the corners) to use it to strike sparks. This knife probably has the spine edges rounded off a little.

For push cuts I personally prefer a smoother spine, it's much more comfortable on the thumb. I don't like using a knife to strike sparks anyway, it inevitably marks the knife, but if it was life or death I'd even use the cutting edge. Some people do that routinely but I think it's blade abuse.

PS: That's a cracking blade, Stu!

Last edited:

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
The spine of the knife is normally used to strike a spark, and you need the spine to have sharp corners (or at least one of the corners) to use it to strike sparks. This knife probably has the spine edges rounded off a little.

For push cuts I personally prefer a smoother spine, it's much more comfortable on the thumb. I don't like using a knife to strike sparks anyway, it inevitably marks the knife, but if it was life or death I'd even use the cutting edge. Some people do that routinely but I think it's blade abuse.
ged is quite right, the edges (Tang, Spine and Choil area) are all bright polished with the corners ever so slightly knocked off, as a maker I'd rather see this than the fire steel prep'd spine...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE