Leather satchel

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Someone asked me tae make them a satchel and then broke off contact. annoyed, i decided tae make one anyway tae pass the time. It can be worn as a satchel or as a possibles pouch so heres a few pictures and a couple of 'in the making'

today i was using it as a book bag for two beauties. my norwegian learning book and snorri sturlsons heimskringla :D

imag0849q.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-26
imag0850avn.jpg

imag0851q.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-0
imag0854z.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-263-26
imag0855x.jpg

imag0856.jpg

imag0847e.jpg

and a few shots while i was making it just tae show the basic pattern and some of the tools i used.

imag0828.jpg

above is the main piece with the two sides. all holes punches with stitching fork. i find leatherwork is mostly about counting. count your stitches, count again, triple check. then forget and count all over again! 90 stitches in each side. helps make it all neat

imag0831.jpg

the back flaps cut and marked out using my newest pride and joy stanley knife. cost under a tenner, folds, came with some spares and is a decent reliable knife for working with iv found. dead chuffed. runes and the stag were cut with my swivel knife. runes read "OATH BOUND"

imag0834o.jpg

loops on and dyed up. i did botch it here where the dye is uneven. but who cares! i wrap duct tape around my hammer so it doesnt damage my metal tools so much.

imag0837r.jpg

pic just tae show when i was stitching the sides up. nothing complicated just started at one end with needle either side and worked my way round making sure it was tight and all lined up correctly.

well there you have it. nae entirely happy with it you can see plenty of mistakes with the dye and where the edge groover went awol on one of the straps (which are slightly different tones). but it functions just fine and seems tae be a great wee book bag so im chuffed. but i think i will try and sell it anyways as i dont need it.

thanks for looking

Hamish

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks marvelous Hamish and personally I have to say that I actually like the uneven dyeing, and where did you find the inspiration for that amazing Hinde/Deer like creature on the front, and how did you inscribe it in the leather, looks really nice too.
When I get myself some money I'll order a pouch from you, and no worries I wont back out, and though it may take long I always keep my promises ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Dreadhead

thanks folks

Ruud i found the design on Deviantart (follow my signature link for my profile). i traced the design on tracing paper. wet the leather, put the tracing on top, then went over it with a pen so it was imprinted in the leather then i used a swivel knife to deepen the lines. but you can use any sort of knife for it i reckon

thnaks for the interest :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Ruud i found the design on Deviantart (follow my signature link for my profile). i traced the design on tracing paper. wet the leather, put the tracing on top, then went over it with a pen so it was imprinted in the leather then i used a swivel knife to deepen the lines. but you can use any sort of knife for it i reckon

thnaks for the interest

Thanks for being interesting Hamish and to refer to the question of Orric, indeed I am also curious, what kinda swivel knife do you use.
Yours sincerely
Ruud a new follower of your deviant page ^^

Dreadhead

haha cheers for the watch Ruud aye i aint been through my favourites in a while. i got the swivel knife in a trade on here but as far as i know its the most basic one with a normal blade. nothing fancy and works a treat

Hamish

Dreadhead

That looks awesome matey how many hours you got in it?

Dave

hmm nae entirely sure as i worked on it on and off for three days but probs about 10 hours? but thats mostly stitching which just takes forever oh and burnishing the edges as i burnish them twice, before and after using edge cote. probably just making more work for myself there!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Cracking job Hamish.
I love the runes carved on the hidden part of the bag.
Great stag too.That would make an awesome tattoo.
Keep posting your work it is an inspiration.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE