Leather pouch first attempt

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Evening All,

Following on from my first spoon thread heres another of my bushcraft DIY firsts this time a small leather pouch.

I found an old leather jacket a few weeks ago which I've cut up to recycle for some projects and thought I'd start simple with this pouch, I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt, I'll probably make a small toggle from a piece of antler and maybe swap the paracord for leather.

Thanks for looking.

Jon

qu8ygajy.jpg

e3apujys.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks all. I've got quite a bit of leather to use so might have a go at making another one this evening, anyone got any suggestions for other styles of pouch or any other ideas.

Cheers

Jon

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup....burning fingertips, cracking thumb joints, aching hands, wobbly vision, exhaustion, starvation.....these things will all pale into nothing due to your new found love....

have fun!

s

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
yup....burning fingertips, cracking thumb joints, aching hands, wobbly vision, exhaustion, starvation.....these things will all pale into nothing due to your new found love....

have fun!

s

Don't forget the three times higher likelihood of sinus cancer! It's all a bonus.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hmmm who'd have thought it would be sew ☺ hazardous. All I need to do now is find stuff to put in the pouches, I need to sort myself a fire kit so that'll fill the first one.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Here's another couple of bits, a slip pouch for my new DIY scotch eyed auger and another small pouch to hold some tube and a bung for when I go tapping.

ybana3an.jpg

eda2y2e8.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
These are very nice, JonE. I'm thinking of starting leathercraft too and those are the sort of projects I'd like to start with. Especially the pouch. Did you follow a tutorial for that?

:)

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks THOaken, no I didn't follow a tutorial it was all guess work. It's one piece of leather folded in half stitched down the sides then turned inside out so the stitching is mostly hidden on the inside, which is good as mine is pretty rough, although it can't be too bad as my 3 year old daughter plays with the first pouch I made and it is still in one piece :D

I saw your thread about tools for starting out, all I used for these pouches was a cheap awl from Wilko and a pack of assorted needles also from Wilko. The holes for the cord were made with one of the punches you can get for making new holes in belts although you could just use the awl for the holes if your using softish leather.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks. I was really happy with how the auger came out I might order a few more to modify.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE