Leather patterns - how do you do yours

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So I've made a few things In leather... A dangler sheath and belt loop for my knife and a rather basic wrist band thing for my missus.... Looking to try and make other stuff. I was wondering where people get their patterns from. Figured I'd like to make a few things from patterns before branching out into my own designs.

Cheers

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I make my own from thick cardboard (about twice the thickness of cereal boxes, but I've used them in the past) that is waste at work. Once the item is made I file the template for future use.

I haven't really seen many leather patterns (bar ones in books)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I look at pictures, work out a pattern in cardboard (I use cereal boxes, and renew the pattern once it wears), and keep patterns that have worked well. For a new item, the pattern tends to develop as I'm making the item, so I usually cut the leather generously so that I can shave it down, and the pattern will probably develop as I make the second and third item, until I get something that I'm definitely happy with.

Be aware, though, that leather and card don't bend in the same way, so if a card template folds snugly round, say, a knife, a piece of leather the same size will probaby be a bit short. I'd guess that the card represents roughly the middle of a piece of thick leather, with the inner face of the leather compressing a bit, and the outer stretching. I first discovered this when making a leather shot glass. I wrapped a piece of card around a glass, to get the pattern, cut a piece of leather the same size, but when this was wrapped around the glass, it didn't meet up.

I also tend to make pencil notes on the pattern itself, e.g. punch sizes that a I've use for holes, cost of materials, etc.

Geoff

greensurfingbear

Thought I was being frugal making my own patterns but it looks like its the norm. I used waste paper to make my patterns and added extra before cutting. Thick cards sounds much better. Next thing on my list of things to make is a belt pouch. Also had a request for phone cover!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do them in cardboard too, then to leather, then i get it wrong and start again using the previous template as a starting point.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I do them on paper, then when i'm happy with it i transfer to card. When i have made one from leather and i know the pattern is spot on and i want to keep it, i then transfer it onto some thin perspex as a permanent template. Same with my knife designs.

rancid badger

So I've made a few things In leather... A dangler sheath and belt loop for my knife and a rather basic wrist band thing for my missus.... Looking to try and make other stuff. I was wondering where people get their patterns from. Figured I'd like to make a few things from patterns before branching out into my own designs.

Cheers

If you buy the Al Stohlman books, there are numeorus patterns for all sorts of items. The majority seemed a bit pointless to me at first, then I realised that they all incorporate different techniques and construction methods, so they all have a place in the bigger picture:)

That said, I've always gone the same route as the others here, using paper, card and eventually perspex for my standard stuff.

cheers

R.B.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you want to make stuff to fit humans, stuff like corsets or bodices, or greaves. Duct tape is the answer. (Remember to do it over an old tee-shirt or wrap the area in Clingfilm or you will make lots of enemies)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE