Leather knife sheath maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris71127

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
Ipswich
Hello people,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a top quality leather sheath maker? I’ve recently bought a custom knife with a kydex sheath but don’t like it as much as a nice leather one.

I’m hoping someone can make a good one from measurement rather than having to post the knife.

Thanks in advance

Chris

paddlesat16

Jan 3, 2022
Birmingham
I would assume, that a leathercrafter would need the outline of the knife, the same as for when they make an axe sheath. So you wouldn't need to send your knife. Just draw round the knife with a pencil/sharpie and send that to your would be sheath maker when you find one.

Regards Bob

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are quite a few leather workers here, but I don't know who is taking commissions right now. Dougster is good.

What knife is it?

I would fully expect that you would need to send the knife. Pouch sheaths cannot be made from an outline alone. If the knife is large and a pancake sheath could be used an outline might work, but you also need blade thickness, handle thickness and information about how the knife will be retained in the sheath. Get the length of a keeper strap too long or short, just by a few millimetres and it will either be too tight, or not hold the knife securely.

Full disclosure, I am not a leathercrafter, but I have made quite a few leather sheaths to go with the knives that I make. I would not take on a job without the knife, too much risk of an unhappy customer. Axe masks are simpler geometry and fit isn't so important.

Chris (too)

Alvariam

Jan 13, 2022
Kettering
I have made several leather sheaths for my knives and it can be quite an involved process with measurements and the retention system required. Also in what position you want to carry the knife.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
TBH if its a custom knife, you really want the maker to have it, to get the best results, would be interested to see a picture of the knife tho :) whom ever you go with Im sure it will be great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE