Leather Journal Cover

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I've been thinking of making one of these for some time too. But Im a bit squeemish when it comes to new leather work.

Eric's looks like a nice simple design, very handsome too. Inspiring. Sew on a couple of bits of leather on the inside and it'l hold any book.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm gonna have a go at the Eric style bound journal. I even found a source of five year diariesto save me printing and photocopying for the next millenia! They are small, but don't have a binding on them so you are set to make your own with a very well made stitched five year diary. I can't remember how much it was off the top of my head though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do it pandabean - kind man that he is John gave one to me - and it has been my faithful companion ever since! Really a quality design

Red

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I bought this one (you can still buy them on evil bay), I don't know why I didn't make one, it was bit of an impulse buy I guess.
f3c4_1_b.JPG

f41b_1_b.JPG

Its very simple and the guy who makes them uses a different fern leaf for each journal so none are quite the same.
You could easily make one yourself with the most basic of tools and skill though, you should definitely have a go!

I am going to have a go at leather carving/stamping and I was thinking of eather making a journal or a belt so that I have a nice large space to experiment with.

Thanks all for the pictures (all looking great) and advice. It is something I am going to have to make.

Now to get the tools and parts.
I take it this will be what I need:

Leather Thick and Thin - Thin for the inside covers.

Awl
Stitch Wheel
Thread (linen with beeswax) & needle
Bevler
Pop Button (just going to use one)
Hole Punch - Not sure on whether the plier type would be good enough.
Alphabet Set and some other picture stamps.

:D

Andy

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Well You could do it with less but for it to look as nice as possible I'd say thats a good list.

Also don't forget the extra bit of leather to patch up the hole is your wallet! :eek:

Hole in my wallet? :O How did you know there was a hole in it and Im sure there was a fiver in there somewhere. :p

Im going to try and order some stuff from LePrevo later this week. Cant really do much on my knife at the moment so I may as well try some leather working again. :)

Can you recommend any type of leather to buy? Im thinking Veg Tanned and already dyed.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Well as far as I know (I havn't actually done much leatherwork) you can use any veg tanned cross grain leather for the carving and stamping.
As for the dye, thats up to your taste, personally I love the look of natural leather for most things, but for a journal I think there are lots of finishes that would look great.

If you look on Le Prevo there is a section with all different finishes, or of course you could have a go at finishing it yourself (that hole may get bigger though :D).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Superlative work as ever Singteck! Mine needs a clippy holdy shutty thing though ;)

Actually an A5 size one with binder holes the size of a normal hole punch, so I can print stuff out and clip it in........

And a pony and a bag o sweets and a...............sorry, got carried away!

Come home - Hampshire needs you :)

Red

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thank you Red!

But you can print stuff and punch the holes with this 6 rings binder as well. They do sell the 6 hole punchers :D

Hampshire will have to wait :p I am having too much fun here!

singteck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE