leather handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
... I know this is an old thread but I've got to reply. Actually most hunters do live in the field. An average deer camp is one or two weeks while a bear hunt is longer. Mountain lion or mountain sheep camps are several weeks as are elk hunts. Certainly these are the shorter hunts as anyone going for more exotic game would need to go to Africa for a lengthy safari....

I've done several same-day Elk hunts in Montana where I hiked in early in the A.M., hunted for a few hours, made a kill and packed two loads of meat out before nightfall. The second load was the last because I brought my hunting partner with me to help with the hard work and nothing got left behind :)

A good friend of mine recently did this with a longbow he had made himself - drove an hour or so from his house in the very early morning, hunted up the mountain for a few hours, made a kill and got all the entire carcass out on his own before dark. He could hardly walk the next day he was so stiff, but he couldn't stop smiling either...

:D

I've done very similar single-day hunting for Whitetail in Alberta and Saskatchewan (the Saskatchewan whitetail are bloody huge incidentally :D).

Most UK and European hunters go out for the day, although in some European countries they may spend a few days camping or in a cabin while hunting. I would say that the vast majority of my hunting is a single day affair, where you do the whole "there and back again" between dawn and dusk.

A hunting vacation or holiday is very different to plain vanilla hunting, and I am always surprised at how little use a knife actually gets in a well organised and implemented camp. You can always find work for a knife to do, but you don't often need to use the knife to do the work...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've done several same-day Elk hunts in Montana where I hiked in early in the A.M., hunted for a few hours, made a kill and packed two loads of meat out before nightfall. The second load was the last because I brought my hunting partner with me to help with the hard work and nothing got left behind :)

A good friend of mine recently did this with a longbow he had made himself - drove an hour or so from his house in the very early morning, hunted up the mountain for a few hours, made a kill and got all the entire carcass out on his own before dark. He could hardly walk the next day he was so stiff, but he couldn't stop smiling either...

:D

I've done very similar single-day hunting for Whitetail in Alberta and Saskatchewan (the Saskatchewan whitetail are bloody huge incidentally :D).

Most UK and European hunters go out for the day, although in some European countries they may spend a few days camping or in a cabin while hunting. I would say that the vast majority of my hunting is a single day affair, where you do the whole "there and back again" between dawn and dusk.

A hunting vacation or holiday is very different to plain vanilla hunting, and I am always surprised at how little use a knife actually gets in a well organised and implemented camp. You can always find work for a knife to do, but you don't often need to use the knife to do the work...

Yeah a lot of residents (very local residents who actually live in the area they're going to hunt) do walk in for a day. The majority of the hunters out West however (including Montana) don't actually live on the ranches anymore. My Western hunting was done in Nevada. It was the normal practice to drive to the hunting area (the area where your permit is drawn for usually was a half day's drive from your home) set up your camp and remain a week or two (about half the big game season) while hunting. Yes this probably should be reffered to as a hunting "vacation" but it was always practiced with such annual regularity that it was just considered an ordinary hunt. Usually what we would have considered "vacation" hunts were guided hunts that included packing in with a string of pack horses or mules. You're quite right though; a well run camp has surprisingly little knife "work" and a guided one usually means the outfitter does the heavy work. Knife "use" isn't neccessarily the same thing as you pointed out when you stated you can always "find" work. It's been my experience that whatever I have will be used (similar to the concept that your expenses will always grow to exceed you finances) I know European hunting is a whole different affair though. Tell me more of your Montana hunt. Don't I remember you making a post on another thread about camp coffee there? Yeah, Canadian whitetail are definitely huge. I never hunted there but I've seen them while hiking the Cold Lake area of Alberta.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE