Leather gun slips - help

Hi
1st post so hope it's in the right section.

From my ID you might gather I like my old muzzle loaders.
The main issue I have is that all modern gun slips are too short to fully cover an old Brown Bess or similar sized musket them being 55-60" in length.

This will be a raw setup so looking for a guide on basic tooling, type of leather to use etc.
I also need to understand how to fleece line such a creation to keep the contents clean and protected.

Might be a bit ambitious but unless I've got a practical task to produce something of use I won't learn. Books are good to guide, but hands on for me is best.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi and welcome to the forum, it's usually customary for first posts to be in "Introductions & Welcomes" and a hello.

There are a lot of great leatherworkers on here who I'm sure'll help. Just thought I'd say hi as it's your first post.

Cheers,
GB.

Thanks for the pointer GB. Forums appear to vary in their protocol. Ooops :eek:
I'm hoping I might be able to hook up with one or two localish folks in my region. I see there's a few arround the Dales.
Just trying to avoid kicking off in the wrong direction or making expensive mistakes.
I picked up the Leatherworking Handbook, V Michael, as a basic read, but can't really get into the joy of handbags, masks or purses.
Will be focussing on muzzle loading accessories and possibly traditional archery related items as I have 3 longbows.

Last edited:
Wet afternoon and I've spent it browsing the forum.
Al Stohlman comes up a lot.
Of all the books, where to start?
Are some of them later complied into one large edition? Or should all be vieved as stand alone publications?

My thanks

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Hi and welcome. Le Prevo Leathers in Newcastle are about the cheapest supplier. Thats for leather,tools and books. Then there is Identity shop in Matlock and finally Tandy Leather in Northampton.
Whereabouts in NorthRiding are you I live between Skipton and Colne.

Hi Ian
Thanks for the list of potential suppliers. I'll check them out and Newcastle's about an hour up the A1.
I'm over in Boroughbridge so maybe 40 miles away your local. The way my time's being eroded I think this might end up being a winter project. What I'd really like is to have a good natter with someone about setting up a basic kit of tools. I know of a guy lives not that far away who has a shed full of old tools but isn't easily approached. Now if I had a shopping list and cash it might be easier as I feel he won't be making coffee and giving up an hour of his valuable time that readily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE