Leather grab / essentials bag

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I've been meaning to sort out a essentials bag for a while. It is to be used when canoeing or out and about for the bits I always want to hand.

I was thinking about the response type bag but decided to see what I could make. I tried out the pattern in canvas first but it really needed to be done in leather to work.

So here is it.

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag3.jpg

Size is approx 8.5 inches (12cm) wide, 8 inches (20cm) high by 3 inches (7.5cm) deep

The front and back are 4mm pre-dyed veg tanned leather and the rest is 3mm veg tanned leather dyed by me.

Of course I just took a stab at the sizes so do not really know if it is the size I need or if it should be bigger or smaller.

Sorry about he pictures. Taken inside in poor light and the flash ones were worse.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
I keep meaning to make my own leather goods.but im not convinced i would be any good at it,But threads like this give me the bug!!!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Really nice work. What will you put in it?:)

Good question and one I have still to sort out. I could have worked out what i wanted it to carry and then made it the size to suit but it would then have been enormous :D

So far the certainties are

Toilet bag (TP and folding trowel)
First aid kit
Firelighting kit
folding saw
knife (probably a folder)
Insect net & midgie spray.
phone
some sweets or a snack

So I need to check and see how all this fits and then adjust accordingly. This is for when I am canoeing and land somewhere and am having a bit of a wander and explore. So it is just the sort of things you find yourself wishing you had lifted from the canoe for obvious reasons. So not really a survival kit as such.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Interesting. I think I would add a monocular and a small insect repellent. Especially if canoeing at this time of year. Must give some thought to a similar bag myself now that you have out the idea in my mind.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE