Leather Finish Question

Looking to start a small project hopefully tonight and was wondering how best to finish 1mm thick Soft Goats hide? Basically I am wanting it to have a waterproof coating so it doesn't go all soggy when wet as it will be exposed to the elements.

How would it look if it was done with hot/warm wax and whats the best way of applying this? Im not looking at dunking it in a pan of the stuff. Any pictures would be appreciated also.

The other option is I still have a tub of acrylic resolene which I know is waterproof to an extent.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
hot wax will darken it considerably and will make it hard and less flexable. Nikwax would be a good choice if this is for your bottle bag project ;)

I've used leather Nickwax (the rub on kind, not the spray) on a leather shoulder bag I made and it seems to hold up fine in the rain, though I've not used it out in a total downpour yet.

You have a craigdons shop near you. they had some on offer last time I was there. Not sure if this is still the case though as it was a while back.

Chris

Thanks. I will see if I can pop into Inverurie Craigdon later this week and have a look. So its the rub on nickwax for leather boots? I have some spray but I think its for the suede type boots. Which probably wont be any use.

I had thought the beeswax would darken it but I wasn't sure how much of an affect it will have on the stiffness of the leather, but yes you are right it is for that project. :) Got an idea from somewhere on how to make it and attach the strap without D-rings.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
yup, the nikwax that comes in a large 'shoe polish' type tin. rub it in with a thin cloth so that the heat from your fingers makes it melt a little so it soaks in nicely. It will give a mat to 'silk' finish depending on the leather but if you want it shiny you can always go over it when dry with std shoe polish ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I vouch for sno-seal, used it for a couple of years now on a lot of leather things exposed to the elements,..... bush hats, boots, gloves, sheaths & pouches.....It even waterproofs split leather....it protects from the sun as well as the wet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE