leather finish cracking?

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I make jewellery, keyrings and bookmarks from leather. After dying I've been using spray super sheen. I've noticed though that if the leather gets even slightly manipulated or bent cracks appear. Is this normal?? Does anyone have any other suggestions what I could use instead? I need to make sure that there is no possibility of dye transfer.

Thanks in advance!

cj

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Supersheen and it's close relative AcrylGLOSS are acrylic resin paints that work very well on inflexible surfaces. However, it was never designed to be used on "bendy" surfaces such as leather. It is cracking because the flex in the leather is fracturing the emulsion of the paint.

A much cheaper, and more effective method that will avoid dye transfer is to apply a very thin wax coating to the surface of the item. By this, I mean boot polish. I use neutral boot polish applied with a duster wrapped around my finger and rubbed in, or for larger surfaces, a boot brush. Let it dry for five minutes then buff to a shine. Repeated applications will enhance the shine, but a single application will seal any dye and prevent transfer to clothing etc.

If you need an alternative that will give a permanent shine with no further intervention, then one of the leather treatments such as Resolene A water resistant top finish for leather. Available in neutral and black.

Resolene can be purchased from Le Prevo leathers. Give them a call, they are very very friendly and can give additional advice.

Eric

Thanks for the advice Eric. I have some natural polish, I'll give it a go for the bookmarks. I'll check out roselene for the other bits that need to be water resistant.

Appeciate your advice :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE