leather crafts help;)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
evening,
after many years admiring other leather work iv decided that for christmas id like to get some of the necessary equipment to try myself.
im going to purchase most of it from the identity shop in matlock derbyshire, for my first project id like to make some pouches for my cup kettle billy can etc similar to the sami coffee bags with the drawstring tops.
im after some help as to the things id need to make them, i was thinking a awl(if thick) a stitch roler puncher waxed thread but im not sure what else i need
any help please thanks ash

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
You wont need much else for these buddy ,the leather used for these tends to be kind of thin (an old brown leather chair )so you just need to cut out a circle for the base,a rectangle for the sides and sew it up inside out ,then a couple of holes round the top with a drawcord .

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i was asked this other day.
and i sat back and thought about what tools i use the most, as obviously i have many.
the tools i use the most are.
scratch awl, use this a lot, for keying the leather, to glu projects together.
over stitch wheel.
awl. diamond shaped/ strait awl.
edge groover
needles
thread.
scissors
sharp knife ( very important)
ruler
dye
hardware.
finishing products.
hope that helps, i have not put down what size needles i use, as i use different ones to most leather workers, or size of over stitch wheel, as its personal preference, or the sixe of the awl, as that is personal preference, or the size of the edge groover, as that will depend on what you are working on, and the weight of leather.
take care.
lee.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thats great mate i was intending getting a couple of basic tools a a few offcuts of leather but nowing me il be coming back with the entire shop;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE