Leather craft starter kit

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Heavy work and family commitments have forced me to become an 'armchair bushcrafter' this year. But I've decided to make the most of my extra time at home by trying my hand at some basic leathercraft.

Can anyone recommend a basic starter kit? There seem to be a whole host out there ranging from the cheap to very pricey and I'm not sure what would be best for me. I'm just thinking about some basic projects like bookmarks etc. nothing too complicated.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I got one of the Tandy starter sets when they were on sale just after Christmas.gave me a quik crash course in the basics, even if i'll never use most of the stuff.

if your willing to wait they did a MASSIVE sale in january to clear stock. mabye they'll do it again...?

not associated just a happy customer.
(their may be cheaper places in the uk but in they were the cheapest for overseas shipping.)

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I got one of the Tandy starter sets when they were on sale just after Christmas.gave me a quik crash course in the basics, even if i'll never use most of the stuff.

if your willing to wait they did a MASSIVE sale in january to clear stock. mabye they'll do it again...?

not associated just a happy customer.
(their may be cheaper places in the uk but in they were the cheapest for overseas shipping.)

I'm happy to wait. Sounds good. Do you have a link?

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I'm happy to wait. Sounds good. Do you have a link?

they don't seem to do the one I got anymore but this is quite similar (if a bit more expensive and more tools/less dye): https://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/beginning-leather-kits/55503-00.aspx

or on the cheaper side their is this:https://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/starter-sets/55501-00.aspx
-add in a few pots of dye and 1 or 2 pre punched kits or a belt blank and buckle and you could probably get an beginning setup for about £100/150.

theres no word about the sale yet but last january their was 70% of some stuff and stamps for somethiing like 2-3 quid.

hope this helps.

(again not associated etc)

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It can be as little as a knife, some thread and a couple of needles. Thin already coloured and coated leather such as recycled stuff you dont need much at all.
If you want to get into the veg-tanned un-dyed thicker stuff for sheath's and the like a few other tools will make it easier and make a better finish. Even then the basics are not expensive and most can be botched.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Some of my best projects have been worked with as little as my favourite opinel knife, a dining fork to mark stitching holes, a revolving hole punch, a pack of assorted needles from ASDA and some stout parcel twine. I have upgraded my tools somewhat over the tears but that is basically all you need. Oh, and some bees wax and possibly olive oil...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, you don't need much.

A punch of some form is helpful but our ancestors just cut a small triangular hole...

any needle that will take the thread...button thread, carpet thread or even dental floss (very like this much vaunted fake sinew...)

something pointy to act as an awl.

if you are using old sofa leather all you will need to cut it is sturdy scissors.

A Stanley knife for thick stuff

something to use as a cutting board (if you haven't a table you could wreck)

a mallet or hammer, or failing that a big stick.

lots of thin card (think cereal boxes) to make templates with.

I have a pretty comprehensive toolkit these days, but often my main concern is simply leather. (I plan my projects round the material rather than choose a project then have to source material for it, which can be expensive.)

If you are in Sunderland you are close to Le Prevo (perilously close, IMHO) Have you a local scrapstore??

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
You don't need much, I made my first sheath with a Stanley knife, awl 2 needles and thread, but be warned it is addictive, soon you will have a box full of tools, I know I did:)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, you don't need much.

A punch of some form is helpful but our ancestors just cut a small triangular hole...

any needle that will take the thread...button thread, carpet thread or even dental floss (very like this much vaunted fake sinew...)

something pointy to act as an awl.

if you are using old sofa leather all you will need to cut it is sturdy scissors.

A Stanley knife for thick stuff

something to use as a cutting board (if you haven't a table you could wreck)

a mallet or hammer, or failing that a big stick.

lots of thin card (think cereal boxes) to make templates with.

I have a pretty comprehensive toolkit these days, but often my main concern is simply leather. (I plan my projects round the material rather than choose a project then have to source material for it, which can be expensive.)

If you are in Sunderland you are close to Le Prevo (perilously close, IMHO) Have you a local scrapstore??

Dental floss is exactly the same as "Artificial Sinew", just a bit lighter grade and more minty.:cool:

If you are indeed in Sunderland, then taking a trip to Leprevo is by far your best and most economical bet. Tandy are overpriced in any case, but having Leprevo on the doorstep is like opening the back of the wardrobe and wandering round Narnia in "tinkering with leather" terms.:eek:

For a start you can rat around in the "scrap box", where if you hit lucky, you can find top grade veg tanned off cuts, potential belt straps and thin stuff ideal for bag pouches and the like. Then , if you ask for Jez or Pete, you can ask for a basic starters kit-proper needles, one packet of 25, an awl blade and handle ( get at least two blades, you will break the first one quite soon after starting!) some 18/3 linen thread-50 gms will do fine, if you dont already have a metal ruler, get a "safety rule" from LP, its got a profile like an "M" but a bit more curvey and they're very good indeed for safe cutting as well as marking lines etc. a block of beeswax for the thread is good and if you don't have one, a decent quality craft knife or scalpel and blades.
The hole punch is a good idea to start, only if you intend to make belts or items that require a significant number of proper holes.

Use a dining fork, not only for marking your stitch holes, but also to actually mark the sewing groove. It's very easy to do but not so easy to explain:eek:

BEST and by far the most worthwhile thing to buy if you go there is: Al Stohlmans, "The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather" the best £10 or so, you will ever spend in connection with leather working.

so;
needles
awl
thread
ruler
wax
scalpel
book

and pinch a dining fork!

Good luck and if you get stuck, drop me a pm.;)

Steve

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
If you are indeed in Sunderland, then taking a trip to Leprevo is by far your best and most economical bet. Tandy are overpriced in any case, but having Leprevo on the doorstep is like opening the back of the wardrobe and wandering round Narnia in "tinkering with leather" terms.:eek:

Steve

as said, their are probabably cheaper in the UK, I have simply got the best quote for overseas shipping with them. always open to new suggestions!

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Lots of great advice there folks! What is this le prevo then? And why haven't I heard of it before? Sounds like I need to give it a visit.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Dental floss is exactly the same as "Artificial Sinew", just a bit lighter grade and more minty.:cool:

For a start you can rat around in the "scrap box", where if you hit lucky, you can find top grade veg tanned off cuts, potential belt straps and thin stuff ideal for bag pouches and the like. Then , if you ask for Jez or Pete, you can ask for a basic starters kit-proper needles, one packet of 25, an awl blade and handle ( get at least two blades, you will break the first one quite soon after starting!) some 18/3 linen thread-50 gms will do fine, if you dont already have a metal ruler, get a "safety rule" from LP, its got a profile like an "M" but a bit more curvey and they're very good indeed for safe cutting as well as marking lines etc. a block of beeswax for the thread is good and if you don't have one, a decent quality craft knife or scalpel and blades.
The hole punch is a good idea to start, only if you intend to make belts or items that require a significant number of proper holes.

Use a dining fork, not only for marking your stitch holes, but also to actually mark the sewing groove. It's very easy to do but not so easy to explain:eek:

BEST and by far the most worthwhile thing to buy if you go there is: Al Stohlmans, "The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather" the best £10 or so, you will ever spend in connection with leather working.

so;
needles
awl
thread
ruler
wax
scalpel
book

and pinch a dining fork!

Good luck and if you get stuck, drop me a pm.;)

Steve

I just made myself a belt with le prevo as my source and I want to do another one for my dad, I ordered all the various bits so starting to build up a tool kit now.

I just wanted to say to badger (Steve) Thanks for the tip of using the dining fork as a pricking iron, I have been searching around high and low for the right size and "price" Iron and can't decide on which, but now you have made my day mate! This has been holding me up as I know how difficult it is to sew nicely without accurate hole marks.

I cannot believe I never thought of that seeing as I use a dining fork at least once a day and now bang the answer was literally right under my nose! Genius

Last edited:
There is a guy on YouTube called Ian Atkinson and his company is called Leodis Leather. He shows you everything from the most basic to the really complex skills. He is clear and he knows his stuff.

Merlin Leathercraft

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE