Leather Buttons ... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This post inspired me to have a go at making some hand-made braided leather buttons. I can't tell you how frustrating and time consuming it's been to try and follow the fairly sparse instructions in my braiding book, but I've finally got something that looks like a button. :)

IMG_2245_zpsbfe8f8b5.jpg

IMG_2246_zps136ef406.jpg

IMG_2247_zps8ae3fdb8.jpg

If you're still looking for some buttons and these are the sort of thing, drop me a PM as I *might* be willing to make some more, now I've worked out how to do them.

Geoff :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Toadflax, they're lovely! Look just like leather rosebuds :)

Buttons are often leather covered, aren't they? Some really thin stuff, glued on wet and held with a wire crimp??

There's often cherry branches left from maintainence at NW, Elen, bet the lads will cut you slivers and enjoy a carving play at the meet... the big bits tend to be snapped up immediately, you need jumble sale elbows to get a look in for the big chunks ;)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Toadflax, they're lovely! Look just like leather rosebuds :)

Thanks! They are rather sweet aren't they. Seem to remind me of buttons that I may have seen on something my Mum would have worn, back in the 60s or 70s.

Buttons are often leather covered, aren't they? Some really thin stuff, glued on wet and held with a wire crimp??

That may be true, but these are completely leather (made from 6mm x 1mm thonging and near enough 75cm of thonging in each one). Rather like net making, it's remarkable how much length of 'raw material' is needed for a finished item.

It was a nice change to have a go at something other than leather carving and sewing and gets quite relaxing. Once the technique is sorted, it reminds me of how I feel when I'm hand twisting cordage.

Geoff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE