Leather bushcraft pack MKII

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Happy New Year all you fine folks :)

I made another leather pack as a birthday gift to myself this year, wanting something different to the pack I made the other month. I wanted this pack to be more supple and pouchy, have all seams hidden, and to be sized for carry on luggage for flying as i travel a fair bit with just a small bag, so why not in style :)

So how did this pack evolve...whilst I want a carry on sized pack, I also want to be able to beef it up for a night or two out so I incorporated a sort of leather strap molle system on the bottom to sling a bedroll to, and left some more attachment points on top of the flap and on the front of the bag.

I made the pockets as big as I could get away with, and added a leather drawcorded extension on the main body to cinche things tight. The edges of the flap and pockets all have bronze wire in them so I can bend them into shape to stop any water or unwanted ingress into the pockets or bag. I also added a braided carry handle behind the straps which my last pack was sorely needing.

This pack was also supposed to be plain, then I thought, I'll just add a tiny bit of knotwork somewhere...and as usual got carried away ;)
Everything is hand stitched with waxed linen thread, and I made all the buckles from antler. The most modern thing in this pack are the copper rivets I used on the bottom and straps.

I'm currently testing it out in France (passed through airport security nicely) and will see how it holds up over the next year in Scottish weather.

Overall, I'm chuffed to bits :)
ab002b559711139be1563e9da1dd653e.jpg
483899450af66d9c4592d859d3e743ce.jpg
08b1ca35f56cdeb879c4dbed8cdd4440.jpg
3980b468e7690d908f55fbc4460d0a50.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That is absolutely superb, Hamish. Spot on droolingly delicious!!! The proportions are gorgeous and the antler tips and buckles set it all off; Stunning work, matey :notworthy:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No good for bushcrafting!
To nice. I would be afraid of damaging it ( Despite knowing leather is very resilient and strong).
:)

That bag is perfect taking to school, uni or work. Stunning. Incredibly nice details, like the antler tips!

You are not a ‘maker plus’. You are a Master Maker!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Ruddy 'eck, that is a bit special.

Two questions.
Firstly, if you were to make that for someone how much would it cost?

Secondly. I love that pullover you're wearing. Where did you get it?

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Truly outstanding work. I know a lot of people who would be very tempted by this, is it something you will be making as a product to add to your range?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I always admire your work, that is outstanding and may I say more in keeping with your skills and attention to detail than your other packs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE