Leather bits and scraps.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Just a quicky really guys . A mate of mine has just dropped of for me a bag of leather bits he is an upholsterer and specializes in leather. Anyway a few of the bits are quite good sizes easily enough to make soft leather bags for stoves or tinder bags etc.

He has said there will be more in the future its mainly shades of brown and some black
and some bits of fetching red!!!

If anyone would like any next time round let me know and when he next drops a bag ill devide it up etc and see what it will cost to send.

Its all free to a good home as they say.

I am not up on leather work yet but dont think it would be anygood for sheaths etc as its soft and pliable.

Andy

If this is in the wrong section can a mod please move it . thanks.
ps might be a couple of months to the next one.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'd be well up for some soft leather if there's any going next time! I'd be willing to send you something in return if there's anything you're after. Cheers fella!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No worries Mesquite Ill keep you posted. I am halfway through making a bag for my Billy set and one for my Honey stove. All the little bits will be good for tinder bags or small storage bags.

There will be plenty Sasquatch he dropped 3 bin bags full this time but I have given most of it to my scouts for making bags etc. I dont need anything in return just maybe cover the cost of really.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No worries Phil.

I will stash a load of the smaller bits from this batch to one side as thats what they will more likely be best for.

Will arrange for a bimble some time soon if you like and can pass them onto you then.

Charles River is great but I want a solo boat now aswell might even look at a sea Kayak!!!
best not mention that on SOTP.

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
Charles River is great but I want a solo boat now aswell might even look at a sea Kayak!!!
best not mention that on SOTP.[/QUOTE]

I think they would Keel Haul you for that.

Phil

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hmm, if you have any left I'd quite like a piece for a billy set.

I'm curious, why can't you use the Charles River solo? I frequently use my Penobscot 17 solo. I think we need to get you out on the Derwent for a pootle.

Instead of a sea kayak, what about a sailing dinghy? Certainly easier with a family and a better fishing platform than either canoe or kayak.

Al

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ok folks got everyones names stored once the next batch arrives I will pm everyone.
could be as soon as next month or it might be in the autumn.:thanks:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No worries Phil.

I will stash a load of the smaller bits from this batch to one side as thats what they will more likely be best for.

Will arrange for a bimble some time soon if you like and can pass them onto you then.

best not mention that on SOTP.

You're welcome to borrow my Pack for a couple of weeks while I'm away Andy if you like. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but the offer's there fella.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I wasnt intending to buy any other Rich but I like the idea of having a lighter boat for solo trips I can top the Charles River Solo but I know it when I have done it!!! I am going to make a little 2 wheeled trolley for the dragging end to see if that makes it easier.

Problem is the Ranger is a big beast to get a canoe of any description on, and my weight lifting belt doesnt fit my waist like it use too...lol.

I went to Cliffhanger in sheffield at the weekend which wasnt brilliant but I had a good mooch around a sea kayak and was impressed with it. Its also to do with my lad hes 10 soon and loves paddling and I would like to see him paddling solo at some pint soon.

I am Still doing the research at the minute but thats a kind gesture mate when are you off is this your trip to France.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I am Still doing the research at the minute but thats a kind gesture mate when are you off is this your trip to France.

Andy

We're setting off on Saturday morning but if it's short notice I'm sure you'll get to have a spin soon enough.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Aye ive got 13 doors to hang between now and Saturday then I am away for a week with Scouts but my kids are coming and its a week of canoeing climbing shooting archery etc. I would like to have a paddle in the Pack though we will have to sort something when you get back.

Still Messing whittling bits of twig with the Knife but stuggling to find a comfy grip with it but the thing is I really like the look of the knife. I am going to keep having a fiddle if its ok with you.

Have a great time in France aswell.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Still Messing whittling bits of twig with the Knife but stuggling to find a comfy grip with it but the thing is I really like the look of the knife. I am going to keep having a fiddle if its ok with you.

Yeah no worries mate, a knife's quite a personal thing so it's got to feel right in the hand. Especially if your spending a fair chunk more than a Mora..

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Soft leather is perfect for sheath making for folders and can be used for fixed blades.

If you soak the sheath after it has been made in wax and give it a good coat it becomes stiff and solid which I have used to make a sheath for my Opinel and it worked perfectly and I'm sure the same process could be used for a fixed blade!

Also you can make a wooden sheath and wrap it in leather like a traditional kukhri sheath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE